RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hidden Power Support Support and discussion area for Richard Lynch's book and software series

Trouble Installing on PC -- default install to C drive

Old 03-09-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Lynch
I haven't ever done that on a PC. Do you know where I can find instructions? there are more than 2 members of the .1% club...I'm hoping to have sold about 8,000+ copies of the book by about the end of March, so there are a few. I want every one of them to be able to install!

Thanks very much for getting back here and helping out.
First piece of the recipe is to get a ram drive that is big enough. I downloaded the basic shareware version from www.ramdisk.tk
and installed it. It works on my version of XP Professional SP2 and claims to work on W2K and W2K3 as well. YMMV.

Second step was to configure the RAMdisk to be drive C and to size it big enough to contain the extended files. Pick System from the Control Panel, choose the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager, scroll down to the RAM disk - it is further south than I was expecting - and right click to get Properties. That is where you can find a tab called Ram Disk Properties in which you can choose 64Mb and C.

I think I had to reboot to make these changes effective.

Good luck with your sales!

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Mike,

Fabulous post...thanks for the additional information -- a great help to me and the community!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Help

Completely lost - this is the 1st software that has not just loaded automatically on my new XP windows computer.

I did nothing but accept the terms and conditions and then ask to load the power tools.

I've no idea how to proceed and none of the here entries here have helped me.

Also I can't read the trobleshooting guide in the pdf - it doesn't open either though I've been reading pdf s for years.

VERY DISSAPPOINTED INDEED!!!

Not what I expected at all
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 04:25 PM

You should probably consult the troubleshooting doc on the website. There are just too many things for me to control for it to be a smooth install for everyone. Everything from your system to user error can be involved.

check out: http://hiddenelements.com/hppe3tool_ts.html

If you can be more specific about the problem, i am sure i have a resolution. i have not yet met a system that will deny the ability to install.

Sorry you are disappointed. At least i don't hide like other authors.

Richard

PS -- come details would help...are you using the elements 2 book? are you loading free tools? There are a bunch of different products...I know you are on PC, but what did you do when installing exactly? Did you read the install instructions? please let me know. Curious to what you were expecting that was different than what you got...and how you know it isn't what you want if you haven't installed yet...

PPS -- the MOST COMMON problem to date has been that users don't actually look for the tools because the installation is so quick. have you actually checked in Elements? they might already be there.

Last edited by Richard_Lynch; 03-20-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 PM

Apologies Richard..I was hasty & so was the download

Richard,

Your PPS hit the nail on the head - it had all loaded in about 2 seconds flat!
I wasn't expecting that anything could load that quickly...anyway the power tools seem to be there and have opened some.

Time to go back to the manual!

Apologies for my earlier frustrated email - I had spent an hour or two not realising it had loaded...till now when I thought I'd just check for your reply.

Thanks for not hiding! Much appreciated.

PS It might be worth adding a note about the very rapid load time as many simply wont expect this..

PPS Not important but why do I see little red crosses rather than images on this website - eg for the buttons, smilies, etc...?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks for getting back. Glad everything was installed. You might be able to imagine why I never thought to put in an apology that the tools install quickly. I have it mentioned in the troubleshooting on the hiddenelements.com website. Granted, the installer SHOULD have has a confirmation. I was focused elsewhere on a) a deadline, and b) setting up a bat file to delete the cache, because so many users would likely have trouble with that.

About the image problem...I am not sure. I assume you mean on retouchpro? It could be that access to the server was temporarily restricted. Hard to say. I've never had a problem. If you continue to, you may want to adjust your browser settings, and force-reload the page (PC: I think it is CTRL+F5...at least for IE).

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Smile Interesting installation problem

Thank goodness for your trouble shooting details. I had Photoshop elements 3.0 installed on C drive and it still didn't work. As I went down your ABC list you suggested opening and resaving the images in the effects folders. While trying that I discovered that . For reasons known only to the computer gods Microsoft power point was trying to open them. When I changed the properties to open with photoshop the tools appeared in the proper places. Now to learn how to use them. Thanks for the book and the troubleshooting forum :
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Tools > Vendor Support > Hidden Power Support