RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Albumin photographs-Overview

Old 11-16-2001, 11:41 AM

Albumin photographs-Overview

Albumin photographic prints are the most common type of paper photo you will encounter when deaing with 19th century photos. For that reason, a general idea of what they are, how they were made, what their original tone and coloration was like and what preservation steps are possible to protect the original photos as well as the common types of deterioration seen, identification and the role of digital archiving is not a bad idea. With this in mind, I will present a series of threads at this location each concerned with various and fairly specific aspects of the Albumin photo. Perhaps what seperates the Pro from the technician is that while the Tech is skilled in the mechanics of a job, the Pro has the skills plus a deeper knowledge of the underlying reasons and history of the entire situation. Especially when it comes to advising customers on the best method of preserving their old photos and what to avoid, this extra knowledge is not only helpful but can keep you from making costly mistakes or damaging a "one of a kind" photo. The next post will be concerned with a brief history of the Albumin print, from its inception in the 1840's thru its demise in the early 1900's. Thanks, Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 12:38 PM

Looking forward to your posts Tom! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 05:52 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Tom,

You can't post too much for me on the history of photography and the processes involved. Bring it on!! Thanks. It will certainly be interesting at least for me.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 02:31 AM

Tom,

Could I request your insights on Ambrotypes. I have about 30 Ambrotypes of relatives, in various states of repair. On most the picture itself is in reasonable shape, but the backing is crumbling. others have disolorations and flecks of something (mold?) on the picture surface.

I assume the same sorts of humidity ranges for albumin on paper apply to the albumin on glass? At least the glass won't support mold growth, though the albumin will...

Any information on optimal storage would be appreciated.

--tks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2002, 08:23 AM

Jump on over to the Conservation and Repair forum and Look for the thread "Ambrotype Stuff".... Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair