RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

remove felt pen from photo

Old 11-24-2001, 03:14 PM

Excellent advice all.

Thanks.

Mick
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 02:39 PM

Keep Pec-12 away from Polaroids. Years ago I used some on a crime lab shot and the fingerprint disapeared.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 11:12 PM

Yeow! talk about tampering with evidence. Hope it wasn't a capital crime.
That's a good peice of advice for someone who trys the Pec-12 and feels too confident in it's use. I may just get some of that stuff. Sounds great to have on hand.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 05:50 PM

I'm reading this post late. But the other day a woman came in the studio with a print. Her kid took a magic marker to it. I use a product called "OOOPS!". I've been using it quite a while. Works for me. It's a latex paint remover. White can with red letters. No. Joke.It works without damage to the print. Try it on a print you don't care about, if your worried about the labeling on the can that says "removes dried latex paint".

p.s. you can go with PEC-12 though. Never tried it, myself.

Last edited by john_opitz; 11-26-2001 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 06:38 PM

John
Where do you get this stuff "Ooops"? Also, does is specify that it can be used on prints or did you find this out due to experimentation? Sounds pretty good. Might be nice to have a few possibilities on hand for when one doesn't work maybe the other will. Thanks for the tip.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john_opitz
I'm reading this post late. But the other day a woman came in the studio with a print. Her kid took a magic marker to it. I use a product called "OOOPS!". I've been using it quite a while. Works for me. It's a latex paint remover. White can with red letters. No. Joke.It works without damage to the print. Try it on a print you don't care about, if your worried about the labeling on the can that says "removes dried latex paint".

p.s. you can go with PEC-12 though. Never tried it, myself.
Mind if I recommend sticking to "photo safe" products? While some latex paint removers MAY work on some polypropylene surfaces, I think reading down the line of potential problems you'll find "Damages many plastics and some automotive paints" ...the next time you try it you may come up with a white patch with no emulsion on it!
Sorry to disagree here - but "goof Off", "OOOPS" and other products with the same formulation are not in the same class as (PAT) tested products such as Pec12 for use on photographic emulsions. You've apparently been really lucky so far and with all due respect, if you've used it more than once, I recommend that you switch to something safer while you are ahead!

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 09:56 PM

<John
Where do you get this stuff "Ooops"? Also, does is specify that it can be used on prints or did you find this out due to experimentation? Sounds pretty good. Might be nice to have a few possibilities on hand for when one doesn't work maybe the other will. Thanks for the tip.
DJ>

You can get it at Home Depot. Or some hardware stores.
It does not specify to be used for prints. How I found out on how it works.....? By experimentation. Use a soft cloth and little of it. Almost like a dry sponge, and don't rub hard. Lightly !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 10:04 PM
Janitor

Non-PAT (Photographic Activity Test) tested products can leave behind chemicals which can degrade photos over time. A link describing the test is here
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 10:47 PM

<Mind if I recommend sticking to "photo safe" products? While some latex paint removers MAY work on some polypropylene surfaces, I think reading down the line of potential problems you'll find "Damages many plastics and some automotive paints" ...the next time you try it you may come up with a white patch with no emulsion on it!
Sorry to disagree here - but "goof Off", "OOOPS" and other products with the same formulation are not in the same class as (PAT) tested products such as Pec12 for use on photographic emulsions. You've apparently been really lucky so far and with all due respect, if you've used it more than once, I recommend that you switch to something safer while you are ahead!

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators>

I would recommend that to.., "photo safe" products. But I've done this to hundreds of proofs in the past years with no problem to the finish. Our in-house lab has a nasty habit of putting "X"'s on proofs that they feel should be taken out using a red grease marker, and there's nothing wrong with the proof. Or I should say, some of them . So that's what I use to remove those "X"'s. Bottom line is, if I had PEC-12. I would use that. If I didn't have it? And if I only had the "OOOPS" . I'd use the "OOOPS".
Even if you use PEC-12 or any other product for removing marks from prints that are "photo safe". You still have to be careful using that product on it. You can't rub into it like your digging a hole to China(which I've seen some lab people do). Or let the product sit on the print for hours on end. You have to know what your doing when using any of those products.
And I'm not offended that you disagree with me. That's why we live in America. BTW ! I tried that "GOOF OFF!". Once(test print) ! Didn't work. But the "OOOPS" does. So go figure.
But,no ! I'm not trying to change your mind. Yes,use PEC-12 or another "photo safe" product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Janitor

Unfortunately, the determination of whether a given product ends up being safe might not take place until long after we're gone. Aside from physical damage (ie: rips, tears, scratches, etc.), the entire field of photo restoration exists largely because of products people assumed were safe at the time.

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 11-27-2001 at 01:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair