RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

remove felt pen from photo

Old 11-23-2001, 06:06 PM

remove felt pen from photo

Hi all. Anybody know how to remove felt pen/magic marker from photo? Photo number 1 was written on the back and placed on photo number 2 before it dried. Only a few sporadic spots have found their way to the photo. It's a new school picture 5x7 matte finish so I think it's a pretty hardy photo and could withstand slight punishment............maybe?

I'm prepared to computer fix it but thought if there's a way.

Thanks gang.

Mick
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 06:11 PM
Janitor

You'd need to know what solvent is used in the marker. There's a whole gamut. Some offer removal options others don't. Any way of finding out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 06:38 PM

If the ink is of the permanent type, it has probably penetrated the image bearing portion of the photo(unless the photo was given a final coat of laquer or some other sealant coating) and very little can be done to remove it without actually removing or further damaging the image bearing layer.If the photo was given some type of final coating, you could place a very small drop of alcohol (or some other mild solvent) on a corner of the photo well away from any image bearing area, allow it to sit for 60 sec., then gently blot it up, looking closely for any fogging,discoloration,swelling or actual removal of the surface. I would be inclined, noting that you said this was a new photo, to scan it in and retouch, then have it printed, or, having another print made from the negative. Just my opinion, though...good luck Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll find out what kind of pen was used.
Also will try toms suggestion.

Mick
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 10:29 PM

Ink Removal

The best chemical to try would be Pec12 - it's a cleaner designed for the purpose, removes most types of ink and is safe to use on almost any type of photograph. It should be available from your nearest camera store and if not you can buy online from Light Impressions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 10:55 PM
Janitor

Sounds like we have a winner. I'd try anything from Light Impressions without hesitation (though I'd read the description and instructions very carefully).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 06:08 AM

Jim, Are there any limitations on its use for Early gelatin or collodian printing out or developing papers? How about albumin prints? Thanks for the info... Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 11:45 AM

Ink removal

Like using any other chemical product, it's always advisable to edge test with a Q-tip. The answer to your question is that I've used it on almost every type of emulsion known without any problems. Just use it sparingly. With older emulsions it may soak through very fine cracks and into the backing. To control that, I keep a hair dryer handy to give it a blast of warm air and it evaporates almost instantly. Before copying (or scanning) just make sure that the backing is allowed to totally dry.

Of course there are inks that will not come off with any chemical treatment and some clean up only in part, but it's still the best starting point. A final point here is that there are numerous inks that are water soluble. If Pec12 does nothing, it may be that water will do the job (again used with the Q-tip and hair dryer).

You can look at the Q-tip and see instantly if there is any ink on it - if there is - just repeat the process until you are no longer lifting ink from the print.

Jim Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 11:48 AM
Janitor

But always make the best scan you can before attempting anything like this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2001, 12:34 PM

Thanks much for the quick reply. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair