RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

A very old photograph

Old 06-30-2005, 01:52 PM

ok, thanks marylynn.

now, here's another question you made me think of from your last post. we have a pretty good idea of date, but can you tell the where at all? were these taken in the u.s. or somewhere else, and if you can tell the general geographic area, how close might it be to narrow that area down?

i've scanned in the last 3 tintypes and done just some basic lightening and sharpening. i'm trying to determine if they were all done by the same photographer and maybe get some help from one to retouch another. so far, i think i've found two, and maybe a third that would seem to indicate they all came from the same place. just as a guess, i'm saying that they were all done by the same studio or photographer, but there's little actual evidence to base that on conclusively. any light you can shed on that would be appreciated.

so, here's the last 3.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown3-1-k-1.jpg (95.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg unknown2-1-k-1a.jpg (95.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg the-gentlemen-1-k-1.jpg (97.4 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 PM

You're welcome, Craig.

No, I'm afraid it is next to impossible to place these photos geographically. Studios used painted backdrops and exotic props to enhance the photos. Several of my family cabinet cards, taken in a studio in Wisconsin, have a backdrop reminiscent of a balcony on an Italian palace. With the availability of mail order catalogues and skilled dressmakers, ladies could keep up with the latest fashions, even if it meant adding a new collar to an older dress.

These last three tintypes are a little later in time. The lady in the middle is wearing a classic example of the "leg of mutton" sleeve that was popular in the 1890s. Each year the upper part of the sleeve got fuller. I have a couple of photos of that jacket that are positively dated 1896. Her hat with the plume on top is also typical.

The lady on the left, possibly the same woman five or six years older, is wearing the white shirtwaist, dark skirt that was popular the end of the nineteenth century. From 1900 until 1903 the sleeve was full all the way to cuff, getting fuller each year. Her hair is also typical for the period.

The picture of the men is also 1890s when the shorter hair, parted near the center of the head, and well groomed mustaches were common. Sorry I can't get more specific than that.

Now, we've dated the tintypes but the cabinet cards were also popular during the same time period. You may have cabinet cards of some of these same people and there might be photographers and their studio locations on them. Photographer information on tintypes was probably on the paper frames they came in. The rough edges of the backdrops on these tintypes would have been hidden in an oval or oblong frame.

I hope I've helped a little with this information. I've enjoyed the challenge and would love to see how they look restored. I haven't done anything on your images except run a level adjustment layer so I could see details for dating. I wouldn't even attempt to go beyond that when you and others are so much more adept at it.

If you make any more wonderful discoveries, let me know!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 12:25 AM

well, thank you very much. that's quite informative. too bad about the geographical. ah well

and yes, you're getting ahead of me; i do have some cabinet cards and yes, some do have studio marks on them. i havent compared the cabinets with the tintypes yet, but there may be one gentleman that's the same.

but, being that a new contest has opened up on retouch, my time for restoring will be cut down a bit, so there wont be a lot of new i'll be posting here for a while. i do have one that has interested me, though, but it's not a cabinet card. it's a regular photo of a later vintage. she's a relative on my mother's side and was quite a looker in her day and i have one studio shot of her. i might post that one and ask you to date it, if you would.

i also have some proofs that are a bit odd. they are almost red. the size is roughly 6 x 8 inches. they were obviously black and whites and taken roughly 82 years ago. the paper is thin and has some writing on the back about this photo turning black if exposed to strong light. it also tells the studio, 'Northland Studios' in detroit, michigan, on 802 woodward bldg. they are pictures of my grandmother and mother, which is why i know the age. not sure i'm going to try to restore these though. the red is really quite dominant and there are a lot of smudge marks, fingerprints throughout. any idea about the process used to make these?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 10:33 AM

Glad to have been able to help.

Take your time getting to these photos; they'll wait. Regarding the proofs, I have no knowledge at all about the process used. Some of the professional photographers on the forum might be able to help with that.

And good luck on the July contest.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2005, 02:48 PM

thanks, MaryLynn

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2005, 11:26 AM

Craig,

I think you may be interested in this document (PDF format):

Photography as a tool in genealogy by Ron and Maureen Willis.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2005, 12:29 PM

jaime,

thank you! most informative. that shld also help determine the age of the cabinet cards.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM

well, i've been working on and off on these for a while now and got one of the tintypes i posted earlier in decent shape. thought i'd post it to show anyone interested how this has gone.

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image6a.jpg (95.9 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 12:57 AM

Nice work, Craig.

I've been thinking about you!. Today I received 40 images of my ancestors dating from the 1850s onward. Two young men are in their Civil War uniforms. Now I have the task of dating, identifying and restoring. they've been well preserved so I don't have any cracks or tears to contend with, just aging and image production. These were not scanned but shot with a digital camera.

As I get them sorted out and dated, I'll post a few of them for others to enjoy.

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM

hi marylynn

and thank you

oh, what a treasure! 40 and two in civil war uniforms! that shld keep you busy for a while post one or two of the unretouched! i'd love to see the civil war ones. what type are they, tintypes?

i'm a bit curious, why shot with a digital instead of a scanner?

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair