RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Help me to date some photos?

Old 07-21-2005, 11:56 PM

I'd guess:
1. 1920's
2. pre 1900
3 1920's
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 AM

Re: Help me to date some photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
I was hoping the men's floppy hair cuts could be a hint of the age of the boat photo, but to be honest even if I work out when I still probably won't know who! Though if it turns out to be 1910-15 (Which is what I am hoping) it could be my grandfather with his brothers, or friends.

So the photos printed as postcards are called cabinet cards?
I googles cabinet cards and here is the first link...I'm sure there are a lot more...
http://www.city-gallery.com/learning...card/index.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
caitlin,

ok.

i think it's time for the history/geneaology buffs to take over

Craig
You maybe able to find a list of Photographer's Studios for Ireland (Belfast etc.) if you are sure that is where the photos came from or from whatever place your relative lived. I'd start with google...and also check local photographic societies for possible sources of such info...if you can establish where they were taken it is even more important than exactly when...and where may give you a better idea of when.
Just thought of another possible source of info...old business directories...some are on-line on various genealogical/history sites...try rootsweb.com and go to Ireland...or google it...once you find one source others should show up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2006, 09:17 PM

This may or may not help you date the photos but this site: http://www.familysearch.org/ has the largest genealogy database in the world. If you know names, you can often find links that will help you identify others in the family tree. If it were up to me, I'd begin with your grandfather's name, date of birth, etc. You might find a real treasure trove of answers.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 AM

Not an expert, but I do genealogy of my family as a hobby.

I agree with Craig that they are probably between 1900 and 1930. The last one being the newest. Notice none of the men in that pic have facial hair which was very popular at the turn of the century and some years after.

The postcard may be a good source to get some dates. There is a name of a company on it. If you can find out when that company was in business, it should help a good bit with dates.

This is fascinating stuff.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Well, in case you have any more luck than me here is a close up of the shopfront - I think it is just a business name so not much help. Also I've attached a scan of the back of one of the 'postcards'. They are both quite similar looking, though the single lady does have a rough white edge. They are on relatively thin cardboard - basically just like postcards.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair