Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Civil War uniforms

Old 08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by MaryLynn
Thanks for your comments, Mike. Regarding your Civil War men, have you gotten the military or pension files on any of them? There can be a wealth of information in there.

By the way, I will be contacting you in a few days. I'll be receiving the original of that silvered photo from earlier this summer as well as some others that have been through a flood. Sure would appreciate learning from you.

yes we have military records on a few of them. Very interesting reading in some of them! If I may give you an example of what it leads to:

My G grandpa was a Capt in the Union Army, he ended up drawing a pension. He died in 1906, and the pension went to his widow. In 1923 she requested a raise in the pension, and wrote "I am the daughter of a soldier (her father was in the British Army and served in India), I am the wife of a soldier, and I am the Mother of a soldier (her youngest son served during WW1)." She got the raise and died in 1928. When we got a copy of the letter and started putting things in order we realized that she also had 2 grandsons who served in WW2, a great grandson who served during Vietnam, and a great great grandson who served during the first Desert Storm. And we never really considered ourselves a military family.......

I look forward to meeting you. We will set something up and show you how we do it and see if we cannot get some good results out of your orginals. I do not remember if I gave you my phone number, its 360-825-2764, thats my studio number. We operate by appointment only so please call. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
More civil war images

When I was puting together my web site, I need some photos that I could use to showcase my attempts. I didn't feel confortable using family photos and some of my best pieces, required permission from the owners and that permission was taking long to arrive.

So, I put together using civil war pictures from the Library of Congress. Let me know what you think of the images and the site.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair