RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

What filter/process was used.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:41 PM

What filter/process was used.

I was given a number of photos from the 1920-1930's (i'm guessing here, but as they are of my grans brothers etc that must be close). I was told I was getting some old sepia photos and could i scan and copy them etc etc.
Now these images look more salmon coloured (pink ish) than brown. So what filter or process was used. OR am I confused and they are representative of early 20th century sepia. The reason I ask is that i was going to retouch and recolour them as sepia in photoshop, but when i did they look nothing like the originals.
I have a few and they all exhibit the same tint and were taken by Barr Bros (whomever they were).

I've added just one that I scanned and resized for this post. I haven't touched it other than that.

cheers,

nacoya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soldier_original.jpg (84.7 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 11:49 AM

Nacoya, I'm not an expert by any means on the process that might have been used but I've encountered the pinkish cast in photos as early as the 1870s. A couple of sources on historical photographs say this variation of tone was common in salted paper prints and albumen prints.

Photographers also toned images with a solution of gold or platinum to improve color and permanence.

Perhaps some of the photographers on this forum can be more definitive.

Great picture!

MaryLynn
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 11:59 AM

Nacoya,

What you might try is to scan the prints in RGB into Photoshop. Convert them to B&W, ( there are many ways, tutorials to do this), and then sepia tone them yourself.

In the Tutorials section of Retouch Pro there is a tutorial on Toning Black & White So That it is pretty...... This is in The Basics section. This is the method I use and am very happy with it.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 12:38 PM

Here is an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soldier_original-S copy.jpg (80.3 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM

Hi folks,

thanks for the replies.
MaryLynn that's great info, very interesting, thanks.

Ken, that's actually what i did to the first of the photos i scanned. I ran a D-MAX B&W action to make an emulsified black and white image then cropped and cleaned a bit (though with these photos there is not much to do other than remove blemishes in the original scan). Then i just applied a standard PS sepia filter. That's when i realised that the originals were not sepia as I knew it.

This was the first image (attached) I have decided to just scan , crop, tidy up and slightly enlarge (using 110% method) and reprint as original colour. But i've attached the original and my sepia standard PS version. I did find a number of other filters and actions for sepia, each a little different from the others. But as i say , as the originals i now know aren't sepia then i decided not to convert them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family_original_scan_web.jpg (75.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg family_sepia_web.jpg (73.0 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 PM

Interesting discussion. Why wouldn't you keep the original color if it is determined that it is accurate in the time period????

What is 110% method of enlarging?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair