RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Photograph on milk glass? Colored and oil painted?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Looks like I may have to go to the historical society, as youve suggested. Maybe look up the studio. I wonder if they would have records. Did you need a business liscense back then?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 06:24 PM

Teri, the link below is my digital copy of my father's photo. The lady photographer's last name is Johnson and she is listed among the important early lady photographers by the Smithsonian.
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soap Box color copy.jpg (98.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM

wow! That is really quite lovely. Such great condition too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2006, 11:08 PM

simon,

looks like you're finding some answers. good

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 01:44 AM

Trinity Court Studio

Well, I think I've done about as much research on the subject as I'm going to. Hope this helps, from here you may want to contact The Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center, which you can find online at:
http://www.pghhistory.org/ And see if they have any data to further validate your photograph.

As for your studio, Trinity Court Studio was in business in the 1920's definately, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Whether or not it was in business previous to this, I can't tell you. I do know they're listed with the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce in 1926. I believe your photo is a bit earlier than this, but not much.

The man who is listed as owning the Trinity Court studio at that time is a man by the name of Ralph Waldo Johnston. As I am a genealogist, I pulled his records, and found the following:
His World War I draft records dated 1918, state he was born May 31, 1874 in Ohio. He was self employed as a photographer at 313 6th Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Whether or not that is Trinity Court Studio? I can't tell you, a historical society in the region should be able to.
On May 3, 1926, he took part in the Golden Rule Trade Tour, which were all Members of the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, who toured the PA area by train, stopping off in various towns, and schmoozing from what I can gather. He is listed at that time, in the Indiana PA paper as being "R.W. Johnston, Photographer -Trinity Court Studio".
Whether or not he owns the studio, again, can't tell you, as by the 1930 census, just 4 years after this, he is a photographer, but is an employee not owner. Photography studios came and went. It was a highly competitive business in your larger cities, of which Pittsburgh would certainly qualify. He may have owned the studio, then merged with a larger business or partnership, or just simply sold it. Who knows. You'll need to find him in the city business directories of the era to find out.
That's about as much as I can, or will, find out for you. In fairness it is a considerable amount of research, and should give you a leg up in helping you document your photograph and its origin. Should just take a wee bit of effort on your part from here on out to finish the photographs documentation.
I wish you luck,
Teri
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcar
Teri, the link below is my digital copy of my father's photo. The lady photographer's last name is Johnson and she is listed among the important early lady photographers by the Smithsonian.
Alan
Alan, that is a beautiful photograph and what a treasure! She did exceptional work and had a beautiful eye. How lucky you are to have a piece of her work, and have it be your father as well! Thank you so much for sharing..
Teri
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Thank you so very much

Absolutly amazing Teri. How did you come up with all that in just a short time. Its more info than what I have found in the last 2 months. First I dont know how to research which is probably why I ended up posting here. I spent the entire afternoon on the Historical Soc website yesturday and in the end slowly leaned over on my desk and began to bang my head on the edge. (not really, but I wanted to) It seemed like I was just going around in circles and couldnt get a look at any real info. I will be writting the society in a short while. Hopefully they can be as helpful and inforamative as you have been. I thank you so much for your time and help. In the meantime I'll see if I can figure out how to get further with what you have given me. A great big thanks of gratitude and generousity with your knowledge.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair