RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Help needed in dating a photo....

Old 04-25-2006, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the Thoughts

You all certainly have given me a lot to think about via your comments. Very insightful. Thanks.

Cliff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 11:03 PM

Hi Frank,

CJ Max apparently had access to the original photo from an album. Perhaps he can fill us in on how the identification was made. I'd be very surprised if it were a Calotype though -- especially if it was made in the U.S. Calotypes were not a commercial success in the U.S., largely because of the steep patent licensing fees. Don't know about Canada. Calotypes were largely phased out by the mid 1850s in favor of the wet collodion process (which was not patented). If taken post civil war, this would be even less likely to be a Calotype. An Ambrotype is a possibility. They were made similar to tintypes but used glass instead of metal. They look very much like tintypes and were packaged similarily. You may need a magnet to tell them apart.

For those not familiar with Calotypes, this was a paper based process which produced a paper negative which was then contact printed, usually on a "salted" paper, to get a positive image. They were typically not washed enough to eliminate the "fixer" solution and they had a strong tendancy to fade and stain with time.

I find the old photographic techniques and the history of photography fascinating.

Bob
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 12:09 AM

goose,

it depends on whether the photograph is dutch or not.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 12:53 AM

I feel I have to add my not-too-expert opinion on this photo. The sleeve on the younger man's jacket is wider at the elbow, an element of style from about 1867-1870.

Having said that, it is difficult to assign a more definite date because we don't know the economic and/or social climate of the family. These men could be wearing clothes that are several years out of style but still good.

Bob, thanks for the information about calotypes. I, too, love the history of these old photos. CJ told us at the outset that this is a tintype.

ML
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 AM

Thumbs down

I don't know why I didn't do this earlier, I clicked on the link at the top and went back a level to the Photo Restoration & Johnston Family Album page. CJ gives more information about the album and how he got it, the work he's done, and links to the other photos in the album.

It's quite a story and it's really worth taking a look! CJ has done a terrific job on the restorations!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 PM

all i can say is WOW the restoration work is awesome but what really impressed me was the family history i read every page and you have learned so much of your background. my family on my fathers side is american indian and unfortunately there arent alot of records or living relatives left to get detailed info. i would love to be able to trace my roots as you have done but dont have a clue how to start. im very impressed !!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM

Tintype

Bob,

It's definately a tintype and was made either in Canada or the U.S..

Thanks for your kind comments on my Johnston Family Album gallery. It's been a labor of love. In the next year (or less) I hope to redo all of the tintype images that are posted there. The one with WIlliam and his youngest sister Mary has been redone.

The first "go around" was done from scans that were made by the discoverer of the album who scanned and emailed them to me. She originally thought and hoped that she was related to me and did not want to part with the album. After the better part of 8 months we determined that we were not related, and she graciously made a gift of the album to me. I am very grateful to her for her kindness. I've got a much better scanner than she had access to. I tried one image to see if there would be a significant difference. There is. Now I'll redo the rest of the images.

Again, thanks for your combined efforts to help me in dating the photograph.

Cliff.

Last edited by CJ Max; 04-27-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2006, 01:18 AM

The gentlemen in photo #16 appear to be the same gentlemen in photo #17. You said that you are able to place #16 in the year 1869. #17 looks as though the 2 men have aged about 5-7 years which might place photo #17 in about the rangle of 1874-1877.

Sheri
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2006, 10:40 AM

i don't know history,
But, i do a work, only restore.

Nice archive.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41985990.JPG (79.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 41985990 3.jpg (85.2 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM

Re: Help needed in dating a photo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmetturker
i don't know history,
But, i do a work, only restore.

Nice archive.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you. You did a great job of coloring this photo. Thanks!

Cliff.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair