RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Help needed in dating a photo....

Old 04-24-2006, 08:45 PM

Help needed in dating a photo....

If anyone out there can help me in dating this photograph, I would appreciate it very much.

Here is the link: http://www.pbase.com/image/41985990/large

In the album from which it came, it was placed before an image that I know was captured in 1869 although this may be meaningless. The trousers with the stripe down the side are military looking, but they are a tartan design. The image, a tintype, may have been made in either Ontario, Canada, or Michigan, U.S.A. - not certain.

Cliff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 PM

I can't help with a date, just some general observations.

The guy on the left is doing everything to come over as the superior of the two:
1) He sat with the back of the chair turned to the other;
2) His arm over the chair back blocks the other's hand;
3) He has crossed his legs in front of the other's;
4) He has assumed a completely relaxed posed, while the other is tense;

and most imortant..

5) The guy on the right had to sit on a lower seat, so as to not tower over the other.

so, I'd take a guess that this is a father and son shot.

Last edited by byRo; 04-26-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM

The pants are indeed military. This style was common during the Civil War. If I had to guess, I would say this photo was shot between 1866 and 1867. If the gentleman was in the army, chances are he would be in uniform.
Since he is not in uniform but has military pants, it probably was surplus from the war. Since the pants would probably not last more than 2 years, my guess is the photo was taken in 1866 or 1867.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Max
If anyone out there can help me in dating this photograph, I would appreciate it very much.

In the album from which it came, it was placed before an image that I know was captured in 1869 although this may be meaningless. The trousers with the stripe down the side are military looking, but they are a tartan design. The image, a tintype, may have been made in either Ontario, Canada, or Michigan, U.S.A. - not certain.

Cliff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2006, 10:09 PM

One other interesting detail that I almost missed:

the image is horizontally reversed.

The gentleman with the stripped pants should be on the right not the left.

There are 2 clues:

The pocket with the white handkerchief should be over the left breast not the right one.

The second clue are the buttons. The button holes in a man's jacket or vest are always on the left side, not the right as in the image.

So reverse the image and see how much more natural the poses look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Max

Cliff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 01:34 AM

you're right frank - it does look a lot more relaxed and natural flipped around
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 02:51 AM

Tintypes are always reversed. This was a direct exposure process with the photosensitive layer directly deposited on an opaque substrate. Same thing occurs with Daguerreotypes.

It's going to be difficult to pin down the date without more information. The photo is certainly consistent with the mid 1860s. Tintypes were introduced in 1853 and were very popular by the mid 1850s. However, they were still in use through the early 20th century. Mainly by street photographers in the later years. Studio photographers, for the most part, switched over to a dry plate process around the mid 1880s. So, late 1860s would have been around the middle of the most heavily used period.

Someone with knowledge of clothing trends and styles of that time period could probably narrow the range somewhat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 08:24 AM

BobJones,

you are correct: Tintypes and Daguerreotypes, are reversed.

This image however, I don't think it came from either: it was probably, and this is just a guess, a Calotype. By the time the Civil War came about, it had become the most commom process.

What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones
Tintypes are always reversed. This was a direct exposure process with the photosensitive layer directly deposited on an opaque substrate. Same thing occurs with Daguerreotypes.

It's going to be difficult to pin down the date without more information. The photo is certainly consistent with the mid 1860s. Tintypes were introduced in 1853 and were very popular by the mid 1850s. However, they were still in use through the early 20th century. Mainly by street photographers in the later years. Studio photographers, for the most part, switched over to a dry plate process around the mid 1880s. So, late 1860s would have been around the middle of the most heavily used period.

Someone with knowledge of clothing trends and styles of that time period could probably narrow the range somewhat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 03:42 PM

Its all in the details

First, I have seen many photo's taken 20 years after the Civil War where someone wore their uniform - especially officers. However, I do think this is during or soon after the CW.

1. These Dandy's aren't farmers. Look at those shoes.
2. I believe that the pant in question is from the Calvary, their's being different from foot soldiers. Note too how narrow the pant leg is, another clue that it might be Calvary.
3. The man stage left has a watch chain that is either horse-hair or human hair, it looks so neat and stiff that I lean towards horse hair > Calvary.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 03:58 PM

So when you date a photograph, do you pay or do you both split the check?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm guessing 1880's

Compare the cut of the gent on the left's coat and vest with the "sac" coat and "waistcoat" of that 1880s.

Also, I don't recall seeing too many Civil War era photos touting watch fobs. They've been in and out of men's fashion many times, but I think they "came back into fashion" well after the Civil War.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sac90square.jpg (43.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg waistcoat90plain.jpg (45.5 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair