RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Advertise Here

cleaning off old photo pre-scanning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 12:03 PM

cleaning off old photo pre-scanning

I have been given some old family photo's dating back to the '20s(prints not negatives)- problem is that many of them of debris and some type of residue on them. Is there a solution I can safely clean some of the gunk off with without harming the print. I have know idea what the heavier residue is, but it does seem to be external to the print, so maybe 60 year old adhesives of some kind?

Thanks in Advance,
Patrick
Old 10-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Patron

Re: cleaning off old photo pre-scanning

Probably the safest 'solution' to clean an old (uncoloured/untinted) photographic print would demineralized water and a soft sponge like a latex cosmetic sponge and even then I would be concerned about water marks (stains created where water meets 80 years of grime) and warping of the print during drying. Maybe best to send them to an expert to get cleaned if it is at all worth your while. Have a look at museum and archival websites for further information and advice. HERE is one site I refer to regularily.

Last edited by Littlecoo; 10-12-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM

hi,
Generally , use a soft brush to get rid of the lose dirt,,,, use cold distilled water..... that will help prevent water spots and also won't soften the emulsion layer of the picture too much.... also to help prevent water spots... there a agent that photographers use I think it call photo pro... but not sure... I was thinking buying some for cleaning my records... smile...

this thread has a lot of suggestions on cleaning film/slides/photographs... including possibly some solvents for sticky gunk on the pictures.... a lot of good info
http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/cleanphotos.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon3085
I have been given some old family photo's dating back to the '20s(prints not negatives)- problem is that many of them of debris and some type of residue on them. Is there a solution I can safely clean some of the gunk off with without harming the print. I have know idea what the heavier residue is, but it does seem to be external to the print, so maybe 60 year old adhesives of some kind?

Thanks in Advance,
Patrick
Old 10-13-2006, 03:51 AM

Best solution: Pec-12>Archival Photographic Emulsion Cleaner. Use with Pec-Pads. Fabulous results!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin OConnell
Best solution: Pec-12>Archival Photographic Emulsion Cleaner. Use with Pec-Pads. Fabulous results!!!
Anyone know if there is a similar product in Europe? I tried to find a retailer, but could not find any from Finland.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 PM

Maybe you can also do image restoration using photoshop, scan the picture first and then edit it to your computer. I think thats the safest way to do that.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchilly
Maybe you can also do image restoration using photoshop, scan the picture first and then edit it to your computer. I think thats the safest way to do that.
It may be the safest, but cleaning the photo (and scanner too) carefully before scanning gives more natural results. It also save some time. Why not do everything possible, before touching the photoshop?

I'm getting a Pec-12 sampler pack later this week, and hopefully Q1 next year there is also a retailer here in Finland.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:57 AM

I wanted to share my testings, and here is the first try. I didn't want to rub too hard (to be safe), but still it took some dirt away nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pec12_testing.jpg (84.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 11-28-2006, 07:38 AM

Bought some of this stuff from adorama, and it is magic. its very good at getting off old tape glue residue. Put a little on a cue tip and your good to go. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin OConnell
Old 12-01-2006, 01:58 PM

This stuff is magic. I just cleaned whole bunch of photos and it took only few minutes and saved hours of photoshopping.

Here is a better take
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pec_take2.jpg (64.5 KB, 105 views)

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair