RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Help dating and finding location of photo

Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Help dating and finding location of photo

Hey everyone,

I picked this photo up a while ago at an antique store. I love the image and thought it would make a nice challenge for a restore. I was wondering if anyone could help date it. It was titled as a "Civil War" photo but I do not think it is. It may be from that time period but it doesn't seem like it was taken in the USA. My main reason for saying this is the man's boots/shoes. They look to be wooden or something. If anyone could help date and locate this I would greatly appreciate it. I included a partially restored version I am working on so you can see more detail. I don't know what to do with the little girl's dress. There is no detail at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man-with-guitar-and-little-girl---compared.jpg (92.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

Re: Help dating and finding location of photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy3.0 View Post
Hey everyone,

I picked this photo up a while ago at an antique store. I love the image and thought it would make a nice challenge for a restore. I was wondering if anyone could help date it. It was titled as a "Civil War" photo but I do not think it is. It may be from that time period but it doesn't seem like it was taken in the USA. My main reason for saying this is the man's boots/shoes. They look to be wooden or something. If anyone could help date and locate this I would greatly appreciate it. I included a partially restored version I am working on so you can see more detail. I don't know what to do with the little girl's dress. There is no detail at all.
That's a considerable challenge. With the wooden shoes, any chance it could be of Dutch origin -- possibly an imigrant from Holland?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM

tommy, any chance you could post the full version of the original on some place like imageshack and link it here? i'd love to see a higher resolution version.

also, i'm no historian, but a couple of those objects in the picture seem european to me. not sure of dates, though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2007, 01:59 AM

This was very intriguing. Wooden shoes were common in about every country in Europe. Other interesting items would be the guitar, round hat on the musician's shoulder, and the laced ? gaiters ? (don't know the exact word...) on his legs. My bet would be Sicily or Savoie...

Michel B
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair