Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

35mm film\slide cleaning techniques\chemicals.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
35mm film\slide cleaning techniques\chemicals.

I have previously posted a problem when scanning slides on my Nikon Super CoolScan 5000.

As seen below

Basically, all the light\bright spots seem to wash out, or flare out.

Either its dirt, residue on the slides or there is a problem with the scanner, or the scanners rare really like that, but it doesn't appear on a flatbed.

I will try to clean the slides first, and scan them. If that doesn't work, I'm going to send them out to a slide scanning service that uses the exact same scanner I have and pay them to do it. If they get better post cleaning results that I have, then I will know that there is something wrong with this brand-new scanner.

I have purchased isopropyl\isopropanol-2 alcohol 99% (surgical grade rubbing alcohol)

I have also purchased a small amount of PEC-12 with the PEC-12 pads.

I'm also looking into FilmRenew or Vitafilm.

I'm not sure if its required, but after cleaning you probably have to seal the film with a lubricant, such as Pentaerythritol tetastearate dissolved in isopropyl\isopropanol-2 alcohol 99% (surgical grade rubbing alcohol)......a .6 grams per liter solution....

Any advice ?
How do you clean the film exactly. Do you rub it under the solution. Do you leave it overnight. Is there a specific amount of time to leave it under. A youtube video would be great. Will the solution remove the actual image if kept under too long? What about drying ? How should I dry it and where?
Using a blowdryer with or without heat ? a bathroom....etc....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Re: 35mm film\slide cleaning techniques\chemicals.

Don't soak it. If you can, just dip the film in the alcholol and shake it off. It will evaporate very quickly. No need to dry it. If you contact the film to wipe off residue off, use the alcohol on a special lint free cloth you can get at photo stores. Cotton swabs work but often leave cotton threads that you'll need to blow off after it dries. Emulsions are fragile. Don't soak for a prolonged period of time. Don't rub much if you have to. Experiment on a slide that you can afford to ruin - just in case.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair