Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Old Text

Old 03-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Question Old Text

I am searching my family tree and found several documents that are difficult to read . I found a tut that got me so far but I was stumped at a point . Here is as far as I got : quote " i think next step i selected all of my new channel, copy and pasted it in a new canvas..nothing happens step after pasting is to "fade" paste i think you find it under "edit ." I guessed at select all of my channel , found Fade in edit . But Fade was not active . If anyone can help , thank you or if you have better way of revitalizing old doc's please let me know .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Re: Old Text

Welcome to RetouchPro, DJM, hope you enjoy your visits here as much as I do.
Fade is only available right after the last command! It would help if you posted an example in order to see what you are working on to give you more of a direction. For example: you copy the red channel and run an apply image on it - let say an inverted blue channel, than right after that you can go to Edit->Fade and change the blend mode of the new alpha channel. Hope this helps a little
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by DJM View Post
if you have better way of revitalizing old doc's please let me know .
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

You might try, at a high magnification, using the Burn tool (set @ shadows) and small, hard brush (same size as text) to trace over the Lighter script marks.

To show us a sample you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: (3Meg max, free) (2Meg max, free) (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

These threads may help also:
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 05:49 PM

Thanks Olbaldy for the info . I am trying to find a piece that Flo wrote to a lady who wanted to restore a blurry image of her son on a merry go round . It may help me with a photo I am working on . I still need to learn how to upload photo's to this site and few other things you suggested . I will try my best to get at it when time allows .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair