RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

Re: Tintype Dating

Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Exclamation Re: Tintype Dating

I have, what I assume is a tintype, of my great grandmother and grandfather as a infant. This is the only known photo of her because shortly after she was struck by lightening and killed and my grandfather was thrown from her lap and was blinded in one eye. The bottom portion of the picture (approx 1/8th of the picture) from the bottom. It is in fair shape otherwise, though small. I very much want to have this restored and be able to make copies for the family, and before it is lost forever to time and further deterioration. One of my concerns has been how to find a reputable firm that I can trust with this since it is very dear to me and I would be devastated if it were damaged further or even lost. Can someone guide me? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Patron

Hobblebobble, welcome to RetouchPro! I started your own thread.
Do you have access to a good scanner? If you can make a high resolution scan of the photo, you can send the file out for retouching / restoration without exposing the origianl to loss or damage. On the other hand if you want the actual photo itself restored or preserved that will require special resources and a different type of expertise. Which are you looking for?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

That's an interesting story! The closest I can come with one of my ancestors is a night in December 1882 when the wife of my great-great-grandfather collapsed and died while walking home from church in the cold.

This would normally be a bad thing, but he remarried and had another child (who was my great-grandmother)! Without whom...

Anyway, Murray's advice is good. Get a hi-res scan and send that out to be worked on. Maybe someone here will offer that service. You probably shouldn't have the original altered (and it's most likely too small anyway).
Attached Images
File Type: gif smallobit.gif (85.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

Thanks, y'all. I do not have a hi res scanner, or any scanner for that matter. Do you think I could find one where they would scan it for me, such as at a Staples, or somewhere like that? I also would love to have the original restored for display. She was too beautiful to store in a safe.

Old pics have so many interesting stories. As my Mom's generation leaves us, so many stories will be left untold. The house where the lightening struck was renovated many, many years ago and still stands. Of course, my grandpa was removed from that house and was raised by his grandpa, whom he always called "Tom." One of the funniest stories I remember hearing was that cars were still early in availability but somehow the family acquired one that was probably already on it's last legs. My grandpa was working on the transmission one day, having removed it from the car, trying desperately to get the car back in commission as my great great grandpa paced about fretting about getting somewhere he needed to go. My grandpa kept telling him he was still working on it. Then, my great great grandpa said, "Throw the son of a bitch up here on the porch, Willie, and fix it when we get back!" LOL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 AM

Hi,
Where are you situated? Maybe folks here - including me can point you out to a reputable company that can hirez scan it for you.... Or PM you if it's considered as advertisement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:00 AM

I am in Wilson, NC. About 45 miles east of Raleigh. I wouldn't consider it an advertisement. I would think it would be a helpful suggestion and also be information of a resource.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

I can't help so far as I'm in the UK...
But there's no doubt that there's people around you that know about such companies...
If there's a professional photo lab around, that could help...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Patron

Decent scanners are really cheap. Look into the Canon CanoScan LiDE, for instance. We use them here in my computer labs. Should be perfectly fine for your purpose, plus you can use it for many other things later!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Patron

These folks in Raleigh seem to have a good reputation, although I have not used them.
http://www.discountdigitalart.com/ph...tos-to-cd.html
I am sure you could arrange to have your photo scanned while you wait. There a probably a number of others based in Raleigh as well.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Patron

Business idea: Drive-through scanning! "Would you like fries with that?"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair