Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

No Spotone

Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 PM
I always used my tongue or put the brush in my mouth. I also made up a 10 step dilution. One being full strength and ten a 10:1 dilution. It worked very well.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I haven't set foot in a darkroom in over a decade, and didn't do that much printing for the last 15 or 20 years of my career in the photography dodge (had somebody to do that) but I guess if somebody figures out that Spotone is carcinogenic or something I'm pretty much doomed 'cause I used Doug's method (dry & lick) for years. There's simply no other way to spot b&w prints, if y'ask me, and an unspotted, or poorly spotted, print is--I don't know--just not a print.

My younger daughter has lately developed an interest (passion? we'll see) for photography and is, believe it or not, doing it with film. Whatever will she do if there is no Spotone?

O woe is us. What is the world coming to?

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
The big question for Spotone users: do you use your tongue to wet the brush, or water? (or do you go macho-style full-strength, which I always found disastrous)
I almost always start with a little bottle cap of water but when I have the entire world mentally blocked out and it's just me and the spots I end up using my tongue. I had no training. I just ended up working in a photo lab and picked up the brush one day and I was pretty good with it and they've abused me ever since. I was warned to not let anyone know I LIKED doing it at ALL let alone that I COULD do it... but I seem to be a glutton for punishment

I don't often dillute the BW spot tone actually except for using my tongue - forget what # is on the bottle. Shake the bottle to get a little liquid to stick to the cap, take off the cap and set it down and dip from the cap.

I have a round plastic watercolor (I think) palette that I use for the color spotting. Roughly 3/4 inch hemisphereical impressions around the edge, each one has a different color of dried up pigment/dye in it and in the center is a flat depression that I use to mix the colors. I don't know the brand of the color stuff we have off-hand but the bottles are in a 'kodak yellow' looking box. I'd estimate they were brand new in the late 70's to early 80's roughly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair