Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Conservation, and Repair The history of photographic prints, and how best to care for and repair them.

gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints

Old 11-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Question gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints

quick (hopefully) question- what is the difference between gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints and why would a photographer choose to use one over the other?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Nauset3TT
quick (hopefully) question- what is the difference between gelatin silver prints v. vintage gelatin silver prints and why would a photographer choose to use one over the other?
I don't know if you'll find the answer to your specific question among these tidbits, but the site I found byis a treasure trove of information in this regard:

Gelatin-silver print: The popular form of photography in the 20th century. As described in chapter 14, they can be either 'printing out' (developed in sunlight) or 'developing out' (developed with chemicals).

Silvering: A form of aging typical to vintage gelatin-silver prints, where it appears as if silver has come to the surface of the image. (See chapter 14)

Silver Gelatin Print - Introduced in 1872 this is a photograph printed on paper that has been coated with gelatin containing light-sensitive halides. Gelatin silver prints are the standard black and white prints still in use today.

Gelatin silver print (Chloro-bromide print,Silver bromide print)
The generic name for the common black-and-white photograph. The process has been the main photographic printing process since its introduction in the late 1880s. Paper is coated with an emulsion of light-sensitive silver halide in gelatin. To produce a print, the paper is exposed under a negative, either by contact-printing or through an enlarger, then chemically developed, stopped, fixed, and dried. Gelatin silver prints are normally black-and-white, although they can be toned with various compounds or minerals to produce a wide range of hues. In addition, various commercial papers will also impart warm or cool tones to the black-and-white print.

A variation of the gelatin silver print, the silver bromide print is printed on a commercial paper with a bromide silver emulsion. This chemical process, available in the 1880s, was used for contact prints or enlargements by artificial light. Bromide prints have a baryta layer, a porous substance that produces tinted or clear white highlights. Usually toned with copper, these prints range from reddish-purple, brown, or slate to warm blacks.

Chloro-bromide prints are still another variation of the gelatin silver print. First introduced around 1883, they are printed on chloro-bromide paper with an emulsion containing both silver chloride and silver bromide, producing a warm, black-toned, sharp image. Chloro-bromide prints were often toned different colors, including red, blue, or purple and were favored by pictorialist photographers.

I googled "vintage gelatin silver print" "gelatin silver print"

so I could check pages with both terms. In reading a few it did not appear that there's any difference between the two phrases.

While "gelatin silver print" showed up in several glossaries, I did not come across any with the term "vintage gelatin silver print".

But don't take this as conclusive. Just what I was able to unearth so far.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > History, Conservation, and Repair