RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Illustration (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/illustration/)
-   -   Saving ai file without the art board? (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/illustration/39584-saving-ai-file-without-art-board.html)

Caravaggio 05-24-2017 04:10 PM

Saving ai file without the art board?

Hi, I haven't used illustrator in years as I am more of a retoucher but a client sent me a png file and asked me as a favor to convert it to an ai file and send it back to him.

The png file he sent me was a rasterized logo.

I opened the file in adobe illustrator cc17 and saved it as an ai file. On looking at the ai file later on, I noticed that it had also saved what I think is called the art board.

My question is if I send him the ai file, does the art board get included?

I just want to send him an ai file without any added art board background. How do that?

Thanks.

klev 05-24-2017 09:57 PM

Re: Saving ai file without the art board?

The client probably doesn't have the rights to that image. I wouldn't bother helping them unless they could at least demonstrate otherwise, although I would be polite about it.

If you don't want the art board, send an eps file. An ai file is specific to illustrator. You use it if you want to work on things in illustrator. Otherwise just export an eps. You may also want to inform him that opening something in illustrator doesn't magically turn it into a vector graphic.

Caravaggio 05-25-2017 12:06 AM

Thanks klev for explaining to me the difference between an eps and ai files and how to get rid of the art board.

I'm pretty sure that the client has the rights to the image as what he sent me was just his name with a drop shadow layer style written on a simple rectangular background. It is very generic looking.

I don't really know why he wanted me to change the file format or if he was hoping that would vectorize the image.

klev 05-25-2017 04:06 AM

Regarding the reason he requested this, it's possible that someone said they needed an eps or ai file because a rasterized version would not reproduce well. If this is the case, merely saving it in illustrator won't impact that. I would probably clear that part up with the client if it's at all possible that the client does not understand the difference.

Caravaggio 05-25-2017 02:36 PM

One question, klev, about the art board when saving a rasterized image as an ai file. (I'm asking just to increase my understanding as I realize that there is probably no real purpose in saving a rasterized image as an ai file or for that matter as an eps file.)

If I open a rasterized image in illustrator and the image happens to be bigger than the art board, will the image appear to be cutoff if it is saved as an ai file?

Thanks so much.

klev 05-25-2017 10:08 PM

No, it shouldn't crop anything. It's a layout tool. I haven't used it in a long time though. I used it extensively, but it's just been a while.

Caravaggio 05-26-2017 05:13 AM

Thanks Klev.

klev 05-27-2017 04:00 PM

You're welcome. I hope that works out well.

bijutoha 07-25-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caravaggio (Post 333164)
If I open a rasterized image in illustrator and the image happens to be bigger than the art board, will the image appear to be cutoff if it is saved as an ai file?

Thanks so much.

Why not think about resizing your art here?

Go to File>Document Setup (Alt+Ctrl+P) > Edit Artboards