RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Where In Blazes Do I Start??

Old 03-07-2005, 06:57 PM

Question Where In Blazes Do I Start??

I just don't know where to start. My mother gave me a lo-res (256px wide) picture of my Great Great Grandma. At that res, the clone tool got rid of everything I needed it too:

Lo-Res Illusion of my "expertise"...

But now, after realising she actually HAD the photo. I scanned it in at 300DPI. (Maybe I even scanned it wrong) This higher resolution poses a problem. I can't hide behind lo-res pixelation or JPEG artifacts this time. I have to actually know what I'm doing.

I've done some minimal dust removal with my own photographs, but this is a whole new ballgame.

Well, just look:

High Res Brodeak

I don't know how to deal with the mis-colorations at the bottom-left corner and floor. I don't know what to do with the overall dusty texture of the photo, which is apparent on the large black shirts. I also don't really know what to do, being a much higher resolution, with the large tear where my Great Great Grandpa used to be. I know I can replace the backdrop with the cloning brush (as I've shone above.) But how do I make it look like nobody was really there? Or at least how do I make it not so obvious?

This is a toughie, folks, and I DO want to get it finished for my mother so she can get digital printouts of it..

Where in blazes do I start? I don't even know how to color-correct properly without using the very intuitve (simple) controls I normally use in Picasa. What comes first, even? Retouching or restoring?

I'm using The GIMP 2.2.4, but I am also downloading the Photoshop Elements 3.0 trial to see if I can work with it better. Alot of tutorials on this site are aimed at PS, it seems, which I have no desire to spend $600 dollars on (or resort to less legal methods in acquiring.)

I am definitely NOT a lazy worker. I really just don't know where to begin... The information on this site is so overwhelming, I wouldn't know where to look or what even to search for...

Thanks in advance for you help, and for reading this rather lengthy plea.

Last edited by LilGryphMaster; 03-08-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2005, 07:00 PM

Welcome to the forum hun...I am sure someone will along and help, usually abit later when people get here from the states etc and here in england its 1am so most here will be sleeping.

Hope you have a nice time getting familiar with the forum everyone is friendly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 PM

Well. I certainly like friendly forums.. And Britons, at that Thanks for the welcome
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Your welcome and i checked out your website and also your friends, blond female kind of nosey! lol

Interesting site the games one so i sent the link to my friend, he also creates games he has a group on ebay for his games, you should go join he would love to meet someone else that does games
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 12:34 AM

Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of doing a rough crop and clone. The empty patch can be filled other parts of the background using a clone tool (large brush), the remaining bits of grandpa's shoe and hand can be cloned out too (a bit tricky around the boys hand as you can see in my clumsy example) and the stains can be cloned over with cleaner parts of the floor or shirts. In other words, the answer to almost every problem is the clone tool. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brodeak-rough.jpg (67.5 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 AM

I know it needs touching up, but could'nt help myself I wanted to see just how it would
look in colour, Hope you dont mind!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c1.jpg (89.1 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 06:09 AM

Hi, I've had a quick play with your picture. Made a couple of patches from the right side of the picture, otherwise like Doug, I've mostly cloned. To hide the hand, I copied the RHS of the boy and copied and reflected it then moved it to cover the left.

Finally adjusted levels and ran it through Neat Image to reduce noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brodeak.jpg (89.6 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 07:12 AM

Thanks, guys. I guess I over-complicated things. I didn't think the clone tool could save me.

Oh, and I don't mind the coloring edit, lol. I used to do that for awhile.. Until I lost all my work and was discouraged..

Thanks again. I'll have a go tonight.

Edit: Also, the link to my previous attempt now works, if you want to have a look. I used the clone tool on that aswell.

I would also like to know if any of you have some tips on correcting levels and colors without using simple tools like Picasa or Auto Levels.. :-p Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Patron

Old Photo

Well I did what everybody else did. A crop was needed to eliminate great grandad. Levels adjustment layer. Copy to a new layer with darken plus blur. Much cloning, some painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Thanks Lil for a fun picture to work on.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brodeak.jpg (91.9 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help