RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help With This Picture

Old 03-13-2005, 09:13 AM

Flora...pic

Hi Flora,

I Scanned This At 800 Or 1200 Dpi. The Picture Is Pretty Much Like You See It, The Original Is A Wallet Sixe Print And I Scanned It To Be Printed As A Five By Seven. You Think That Is Too Big Of Expectations For Such A Bad Picture? If You Think I Would Get Better Results With A Different Scanning Method Please Tell Me The Best Way. Your Work On The Photo Is Much Better Than The One I Posted. If This Scanning Methond Is Sufficient Then Go Ahead And Leave Me The Info For Getting The Results That You Have. Thanks So Much...diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Hi Diana,

This is really not that hard of a photograph to restore. The channels are in great shape and the image has little damage. The biggest problem I see is the “Print Texture”. This gives the photo a “Magazine” effect when scanning. I will scan this image several times and in different directions. Then superimpose each scan using translucent layers. Of course there are many ways to reduce this effect. No matter which one you use just remember; reduce the print texture before you do any restoration work. Otherwise it will just magnify the problem.

Here is a good thread on how to reduce print texture:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...=print+texture

I did the photos below with just a few minutes of work. I did some color corrections, restorations work using the Healing & Clone brushes. I did some final image adjustments with some filters to see the results (see second image).

A note on sizing – You might try to use the 10% method until you reach the size you’re looking for since this was a wallet photo. I would try this after I get a good scan. Just a thought.

Hope this was helpful!

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIANA-PIC_JK1.jpg (97.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DIANA-PIC_JK2.jpg (97.0 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 11:44 PM

My Photo

Hi Jon,

Thanks So Much For Your Help...though I Am Not Sure What You Mean By Using The Ten Percent Method. Could You Please Elaborate On That For Me. I Am New At This. Thanks Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZZYB
Hi Flora,

I Scanned This At 800 Or 1200 Dpi. The Picture Is Pretty Much Like You See It, The Original Is A Wallet Sixe Print And I Scanned It To Be Printed As A Five By Seven. You Think That Is Too Big Of Expectations For Such A Bad Picture? If You Think I Would Get Better Results With A Different Scanning Method Please Tell Me The Best Way. Your Work On The Photo Is Much Better Than The One I Posted. If This Scanning Methond Is Sufficient Then Go Ahead And Leave Me The Info For Getting The Results That You Have. Thanks So Much...diana
Hi Diana,

.... your scanning technique is very, very accurate given the very small size of the original ... it explains the biiig file you had problems compressing, though ....
If I remember right, I read somewhere that scanning over 300 dpi only increases the file size and not the quality of it .... but given the reduced size of the original I think that increasing the scanning dpi a bit, is right!!!

Here is what I did with your picture .... (I work with Photoshop...)
  • Duplicated the background.

• Run a soft Gaussian Blur (Radius 0.8) on the duplicate to minimize the honeycomb pattern. (there are different ways to do this, the best, described by Jon, is to scan the picture at different angles ... Roger wrote an excellent Tutorial on this technique ... but since this picture is originally very faded, I found that the Gaussian Blur did the job quite well, without deteriorating the image too much...)

• Created a Luminosity Mask, copied it on its own Layer (Ctrl+J), and set its blending to Multiply (adjust the Layer's Opacity as necessary)... (the action for creating a Luminosity Maks can be downloaded here).

• Going back to (clicking on) the blurred Layer, I created a Shadows Mask, copied it on its own Layer (Ctrl+J), and set its blending to Soft Light ... (the action for creating a Shadow Maks can be downloaded here).

• Merged Visible ... (the action for merging 'visible' without losing the underlying 'steps' can be downloaded here).

• Duplicated the Merged Layer and run the Polaroid Dust&Scratches Removal Filter for both Dark and Light Dust on the same Duplicated Layer ... (the Polaroid D&S Filter can be downloaded free here).

• Created a Black (Hide All) Layer Mask for the Dust corrected Layer and, with a small soft white Brush I painted over the spots and scratches to eliminate them.

• Merged Visible.

• I used the Levels to improve on tone and contrast a bit.

• Finally I Created a soft white vignette around the edges and corners to fade the background a bit...(the action for darkening Edges and Corners can be downloaded here). Even if the action is for 'darkening', when presented with the choice, just chose white or any other colour of your choice as your colour.

Hope this helps ....

Last edited by Flora; 03-14-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 08:12 AM

Beautiful Beautiful work Flora. You are amazing !! As well as everyony who worked on the photo. I just played a little , cleaned her up a bit with clone brush, cut her out and put her on a very similiar background. I then just used the clairfy function. Neb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladyorig.jpg (28.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ladybg1.jpg (24.0 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 11:24 AM

Hi nebgranny,

thank you so much for your kind words!!!

You did a very good job with your restoration!

...other small tips ....

When changing background:

1) careful that the 'transition' edges (the contour of the original picture pasted on the new background) aren't too hard/clean (another dead giveaway the picture has been tampered with)

2) generally speaking (and you did that very well!!!) try to stay as close as possible to the original colour to avoid the headache of 'bleedings' and 'haloes' etc.

3) try to match sharpness and 'grain' of the original background ... a noisy and faded 'subject' pasted on a perfectly smooth and/or crisp background tends to look fake ... (if necessary, it's ok for the background to be slightly more faded than the subject .... never the contrary!!)

P.S. My tips do not necessarily mean you have made one or more 'mistakes' ... they are simply pointers to what to be careful of when following particular procedures ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 04:06 PM

Smile

Hi Diana,

Flora said it perfectly. I don’t want to confuse you by saying something wrong or sending you down the wrong path.

Good Luck!
Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 06:18 PM

I thought every one else had ago why should'nt I LOL, This is what I did using psp, I firstly despeckled the image of softened it as much as much as I could I then played around with focus and and contrast, I removed the bad marks by using the smudge tool and feathered it alittle more, I then thought why not add colour, So to my amazment too me, I dont know about you folks but I feel it looks just like a photo that would have looked years ago. I do still feel needs alittle work I am no master as folk know by now but I must say I did enjoy playing around with the image, I did try soften more but it somewhat kinda made the image look plastic so I left it..

regards Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thelook.jpg (7.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2005, 11:14 PM

Thank You All

Flora Thank You So Much For Taking The Time To Post The Info For Me. I Am Going To Work On It To See If I Can Do This Myself. Thank You Also To Everyone That Helped Me With This Photograph. I Appreciate It Very Much. I Am Hooked On This Site. I Cannot Stay Away From It. So Much To Learn....anyway Gotta Run To See What Is New..lol Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Barry

-hi Barry,

I Would Love To See What Y0ur Work Looks Like In Print. That Is Very Interesting Change To The Photograph. Thanks For Your Time....diana
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help