RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Problem with "grey" in skin

Old 03-11-2005, 10:13 AM

Problem with "grey" in skin

Hi there, first post here and I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm kind of new to correcting skin tone, and I received these images from a client which have a troubling "grey" cast. I've had some luck reducing them by using a technique I know for removing shadows (apply image), but I'm not sure of their source so I'm not sure of the best way to tackle this. Anyone seen anything like this before?

Another technique I tried also used apply image, and I basically replaced the cyan channel with the black - seems these lines/patches of grey mostly live in that channel. It worked "ok" but I'd still need to correct the skin tone. I've got 4 images with this same issue, and am hoping you expert-type people can give me a good place to start.

Stephanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIFFANY_after.jpg (93.5 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Quick question. Did you scan in the photos or did they? Next question is whether it was made with a digital camera. I've had this problem before as well (normally when clients are the ones providing the files) Some setting that isn't correct. You get really weird highlighted areas when you try to color correct right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:40 AM

I know nothing about the origins of this picture except the following: We acquired this client after they became dissatisfied wwith their prior artists, and one of the first things they asked us to do was recreate a color chart (it's a permanent makeup company), with these models on the back showing off their work. The negatives to the original printing had been destroyed, and the images I have are obviously from the same photo shoot as the images used in the original piece, but aren't exactly the same. Since skin and makeup are their business, they want these models to be flawless, and I can't seem to achieve flawless with these pictures. The originals have that grey cast and are far too ruddy. Simply reducing the amount of red "looks" ok, but when we go to match print, the grey cast is overwhelming.

I'm going to -guess- that the images were scanned from transparency. Some of the grey lines in the image look to me more like scratches or artifacts of scanning, some of them are just shadows. I didn't scan them, and my client knows nothing about how they got on the disks she gave me. I did use Genuine Fractals to enlarge the images approximately 200%, they were too small on the disks I was provided.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:48 AM

It's under-exposed picture. People say that a little over exposed one make a portrait more vivid. So...I had a go at your picture with curves, layer blending mode and layer mask. But...I can't decide which one has more decent skin tone, because I have a poor eye for beauty retouch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TIFFANY_1.jpg (60.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg TIFFANY_2.jpg (62.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg TIFFANY_3.jpg (62.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by venivedi; 03-11-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Talking Welcome to the forum

I have not information on how to do what you are asking, but wanted to say welcome to the forum and give it till end of the day and your sure get some answers from the members on the forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Wow guys

Wow guys that was fast when i was answering they're was no replies, you guys are whizzkids!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 12:00 PM

Should have included this pic before

This is my first go at correcting this image, which the customer rejected on match print because of the grey I'm trying to describe. If you look around her mouth, and on the left side of her forehead, there is a grey "something" that almost makes her look like she has a beard. Can anyone see what I'm talking about in this image?

-Stephanie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiffany_Grey.jpg (81.9 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 12:04 PM

And thanks, Legacy~Art I'm hoping for a little push in the right direction at the very least, I'm not trained in this aspect of correcting color, most of what I've done in the past has been making sure whites are white, black is black, and everything falls properly in between Skin is sooooo difficult.

-S
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 12:44 PM

Hi and welcome to RP,

I usually "replace" the skin tones when this happens. I find these swatch files handy when working with skin and hair. I created a solid color layer, set to the color blend mode at 75%, and filled it's mask with black. Then created a selection from the red channel and painted the skin color in with a white brush.

Then a quick selective color layer and it looks ok. I'm not sure what the best color for her skin is, but this is a way to deal with the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skin.jpg (82.3 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venivedi
It's under-exposed picture. People say that a little over exposed one make a portrait more vivid. So...I had a go at your picture with curves, layer blending mode and layer mask. But...I can't decide which one has more decent skin tone, because I have a poor eye for beauty retouch.
Great results! When you downloaded the file was it missing its color profile and really dark magenta? I'm being curious. I gave it a whirl, but yours looks great. I'm not seeing that 5 o'clock shadow anymore. All I see is the definition of the cheekbones.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help