RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Doing a Tutorial Need help with set up

Old 03-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Question Doing a Tutorial Need help with set up

I am doing the tutorial on layers by vicki. I do not have photoshop but I do have a 30 day trial of photoshop elements. I somehow messed up the layers pallett. Can someone help me get it back . It seems to be closed . Also there was to be a function on the bottom of the pallett to use but it is not there to use. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 09:23 PM

Go up to the top of the screen to Window and check Layers

k
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2005, 10:03 PM

Question

Thank You, got it!
I wonder if you or someone can help me with another question. I am using a 30 day free trial of PhotoShop Elements. Here is the step I am working on.

Hold down the Alt key while pressing the layer mask button on the bottom of the Layers palette.
This will add a black layer mask along side the image. A black mask will hide the image it's connected to - in this case, it should be hiding the top layer where we applied the Dust & Scratches filter.

I can not see the layer mask button in Elements. I wonder if it has it within the program. Does anyone know about this. I would love to get through the tutorial , but maybe it does not have that functionin elements!! Thanks. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 01:07 AM

Hi Neb, Photoshop Elements does not support Layer Masks, exept for with adjustment layers.

Therefore, if you want to use a layer mask, do what it is you want to do on a new layer, then add a adjustment layer but make no adjustments, then link the two layers. To make the mask black click on the layer mask next to the adjustment layer in your layer palette, then Image/Adjustment/Invert.

A bit complicated, but once you get used to it its not too difficult.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 08:26 AM

Thank you and I will try it . Does anyone know if PSP supports this function. I have that program as well. If so would someone please let me know and how to find it in that program.

I have used masks to change the look of picture borders, but do not know if ths is the same area to do what Vikie is suggesting!. Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Hi Neb, I don't use PSP, but I believe it does support layer masks. Not sure if that applies to all editions. There's plenty of PSP users here though, so one of them will no doubt be able to clarify the situation.

If you've got PSP, in general it has more functionality than Elements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Hi Gary: Thank you for responding. Was about to give up. I have PSP8 and like it very much. I am however thinking of getting Photoshop if I stay with this forum. Seems like most use it.

I am glad to hear some use PSP here. I do hope someone will respond who uses it and let me know where to find the function's in psp so I can use it to try Vicki's tutorail. To be honest I pulled a search in the help of psp and just could not find anything, maybe not putting in the right words. I did try and proceed on my own....but no luck.

I pulled up elements as I thought it would allow the function mentioned in the tutorial. OH well...guess just not ment to be!! Thanks Neb

Last edited by nebgranny; 03-13-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 12:35 PM

Hi Again Gary:
I just did another search in help using the words layer masks and got a LOT of options. Now just need to figure out which one to do using vicki's tutorial . Thanks Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 01:25 PM

I'm working on this...

Hey Earline,
You're getting along great with all of this new info to digest which can be overwhelming to begin with. I know it has to be more difficult trying to learn and translate into PSP at the same time. I have a trial version of PSP and started to play with it, but I've been busy this weekend. I actually really like the program and my purchase it myself to have more options. My goal is to see if I can come up with a sort of list to correlate between PS and PSP. As we learned earlier, Flipping in PS is Mirroring in PSP. I'm going to do the best I can, but I'm posting this instead of PMing you, because maybe someone reading this can help as well. If anyone uses both programs, or just has both, or maybe switched at some point, any help would be appreciated. If we work together and get a good reference page, I'll get it up on the site. I'll ask Doug where it should go. In the mean time Earline, just keep plugging along!!
Jessy
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Neb, here's one link that explains about how to "fake" layer masks in Photoshop Elements as Gary explained --

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...layermasks.htm

She includes a free action file to help do it:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pse...layermasks.htm

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-13-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help