RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Yellowed Photo

Old 11-14-2001, 05:17 AM

Yellowed Photo

Hi, All

I have an old photo of my brother, from when he was in the Navy, laminated onto a wooden frame. It has yellowed and faded over the years and looks very much like the picture in restoration challenge #9. I applied different methods as described in the submissions, which are super by the way. Even went through Katrin's book. But I am left with a sort of muddy looking, streaky gray over the whole photo when I convert to the gray scale image. The suit and hat he is wearing should naturally be white, and the skin tones lighter. Any ideas?

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 06:52 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Larry,

I'm not sure I would have any suggestions, but why don't you post the image? I'm sure you'll get some help.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 07:07 AM

Ed,

How do I attach the photo?

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 07:13 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
When you reply to a thread (or start a new one) look lust below the message box where you put your message. There is an "options" box, and an "attachment" box. Click on the attachment browse button, select your file from your computer, then send it. Just make sure to keep the file under 100K or it will not go through.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 07:18 AM

Answered my own question. I attached the photo. It seems that what was streaky yellow, is now just streaky gray.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy.jpg (10.7 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 02:23 PM

Larry,

I'm certainly no expert in this and I hope others have some better ideas for you. I took the liberty of downloading your file and trying a few things. (Hope that's OK.) First, it doesn't look as though there's much detail in the photo - esp. in the shirt. When I tried changing it to CMYK mode and looked at the "K" channel, it seemed like most of the information was there without the streaks. Working on just that channel, I adjusted the levels and then some of the streaks showed up, so I used the dogde tool set to highlights at a very low opacity (4% I think) and used a large soft brush to run over the shirt and hat. I worked a little on the face to highlight the cheeks, nose and teeth. Then added a little noise. I'm assuming you saved the file as a low-quality JPEG, since there seems to be a lot of JPEG artifacts. It's not great, but it's probably what I would start with to work on some more. I'd want to try to add a few more realistic shadows to the shirt to give it more depth. And I'd want to try to sharpen the features on the face if at all possible without making it look like a painting. Not sure how I would do that though. Anyway, I've attached what I did. Like I said, it's not great, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Jeanie

Hmmm. After uploading it, it looks like it needs more contrast too - so I'd work on that as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy2.jpg (16.0 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 04:33 PM

Jeanie,

Thanks for the reply, and no problem at all about downloading it, I posted it for that purpose. I imagine that most of the detail is gone due to age and exposure to light. And yes, I posted it as a low level jpg so the file wasn't too big. I can upload another pic in psd format if you think that will help. But what you've done so far looks very nice. Better than I was doing, as I couldn't get away from the muddy gray. I'll give your method a try.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 05:20 PM

Larry, you might give this a try:
(1)convert to greyscale
(2)add adjustment layer,levels,set black point on tie, white point on hat
(3)flatten
(4)play with adj. layers--levels,curves and some of the blur/noise filters.
(5) try masking areas of similar shade and use a combination of curves and airbrush at low setting and cloning.
Just some thoughts----Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 11:58 PM

What Tom said is really good here, Larry, especially about adjustmen layers. I would add that you should convert to grayscale via the channel mixer. Just click "monochrome" at the bottom left of the dialogue box of channel mixer and then play with the sliders. To give the picture more depth, make a selection around your brother and invert the selection and then darken the background with curves or whatever tool you're comfortable with, and then add some noise to reduce the jpeg block. Invert the selection again and then work on your brother, lightening the uniform, and adding noise once more when you're done. Amongst that you might want to add a large halo of light around his head to give the picture depth, like you might see in a studio shot.
There isn't much information in the picture left, but there is some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 05:06 AM

Mig, Tom,

Thanks for the info, I'll give both suggestions a try. There's a lot more definition in the original scan than the jpg I uploaded so I shouldn't have a problem with artifacts.

Larry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help