RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

channels

Old 03-20-2005, 08:20 AM

channels

I have this photo of my mother and grandmother I am trying to restore . I have looked at the channels and decided that the red channel has the least damage . my question is now that i know what channel the least damaged how do I use that to help restore the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom-and-grandma.jpg (90.6 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Hello fellow Canuck! Sometimes, in identifying the right channel, you can replace part of or all of other channels. In this case the red channel is the best. It's also the lightest. I would increase the contrast with a Curves adjustment layer, sample next to the stains and with a soft low opacity brush, paint over stains. The image could use a good dose of sharpening, maybe something like 300/3/4.

Also, you should get in the habit of checking the Luminosity channel in LAB mode. In this case it is almost identical to the red channel but often you'll get better results than any of the RGB channels.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-mom-and-grandma.jpg (90.3 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 10:23 AM

Wow!

Wow Dave i am impressed!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 10:48 AM

Well, from where I sit, and it's not too comfortable LOL If this photo can be restored , then miracles are happening at this site!! How can one clean up all the cracks?? All this talk of channels and masks is foreign language to me! Can anyone suggest any REAL beginners reading ?

I might just wait until I actually purchase photoshop to get going. Using PSP it is hard for me to convert the process. I still love this site, just not getting anywhere!! But I do not give up very easy in spite of how I sound!!! Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 11:27 AM

For Neb and others interested in learning more about channels, look at Jakaleena's tutorial about Replacing a Channel. Channels are important to understand, but you can learn to make changes with them AFTER you learn the other basics of Photoshop, PSP, etc. Lots of members here learned more about channels after joining the forum here -- AFTER we had been editing photos for some time. Once you learn to work with them, it can save you time with some images that have less damage in one channel than others, but some photos have almost equal damage in each channel, so you still have to use your tools on the whole image.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=23

Just googled for info on PSP and channels -- here's a tutorial for Photoshop AND PSP users in the beginning understanding of channels:
http://www.webreference.com/graphics/column41/

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-20-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 AM

Nebgranny, if you DO happen to get Photoshop, you should also buy this book: Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration & Retouching. Probably more members here have learned from this book over any other.

With regards to the cracks..patience, patience, patience.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Damn thats a badly damaged photo, if that can be restored I will eat my hat
I am sure a blinding good artist can do it using quality software! I have never seen a image as bad as that done to perfection yet, i had a go at removeing some of those creases using psp.

Regards Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-mom-and-grandmad.jpg (46.7 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 06:53 PM

restoring

its not the worst that i have restored , its just that channels are something that have eluded me. I understand what channels are, just not how to use them to my advantage. and for all the fantastic help that Katrin's book has been it's been unable to get the concept of channels through my thick cranium
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 07:34 PM

replacing channels

from one canuk to another how do I replace channels ? a step by step tut would be appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2005, 08:16 PM

Try this. You've checked your channels and let's say Green is best and Blue is suckin.
Go to Image: Apply Image. A dialogue box opens up. Click on the Mask box at the bottom to open some additional features.
In the top Channel Box (Source) choose Green. In the bottom channel box (target) choose Blue. I think for a straight replacement, select Normal 100%.
But as you can see, you have a huge number of options to experiment with; Blending Modes, Percentages, You can play with different channel combos, you can invert channels, the possiblities are endless. If you are in Full Color mode, you can see the changes on the fly.

Not much of a tute but play with it and let me know your thoughts.

Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help