RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

NYC; looking for mentor or training barter situation

Old 03-23-2005, 01:13 PM

Exclamation NYC; looking for mentor or training barter situation

Does anyone know of a place I can work and learn on the job?
I am new to all this. I am changing careers. I am self-taught in photoshop. I am quite good, but I know I need to learn new retouching skills all the time. I am immensly qualified to work in a photostudio. I know all aspects of digital formats and standard photo methods. And I catch on very quickly.

If anyone knows of a place or would themselves be willing to teach me a few new tricks or shotcuts for barter. My email address is atomic_bombshell@att.net. I have a degree in photography and over a decade in my industry. Thanks so much for any help or suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 02:51 PM

Smile Welcome!

Hi and Welcome Atomicbombshell,

I think that you took the first step, and it is here that you can and will receive a lot of help and learn a ton. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, no matter if you feel they are dumb.

Myself – I have learned so much here and a lot from practicing with the tutorials, and the members are GREAT! The tutorials are awesome and will walk you through step by step.

Personally, I don’t own a lot of books, just a few key ones that have taught me a lot. Authors – Eismann and Kelby seem to be the best right now.

The best advice I can offer is to just roll up your sleeves and start using Photoshop, and practice with the tutorials.

Good Luck!
Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 03:12 PM

I think Katrin Eismann set the standard for Photo retouching, and Kelby for Photoshop effects, but Hey! you can start your own business [want a partner?]
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 PM

how nice you both are!

I learn from watching and asking. I have a very hard time learning from books. Guess I must have a learning diability or something. But I am told once I learn something, I take it and run with it.

My degree is in photography, but I was evaluated on photoshop and did not have to take the classes once they saw my work and read my paper. I got three semesters worth of credit.

Unfortunately, I am self taught... I don't know what I don't know... and do not want to let down an employer with less than standard skills.

If anyone knows of any cd's, video, or classes in NYC for photoshop... I'd be so greatful.

Thanks Again, it means a lot to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 AM

Hi, if you're looking for tutorials, Russell Brown has a series of downloadable video tutorials free on his website. His style is a bit quirky, but there's some excellent material there.

www.russellbrown.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 05:37 PM

Thank you so much. I went to his site and also got links to other very helpful sites.

I am so happy I found this site. You people are terrific!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help