RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help With Double Chin

Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 AM

The image is looking good and I love all the community support. I like how you aren't completely removing the double chin, but just de-emphasizing it. That is a much better approach. I'm sure your friend will love the final product. Be sure to share your final results with us!

I'd also like to see a version without the vignette (the soft border).

~T

Last edited by T Paul; 03-30-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul
The image is looking good and I love all the community support. I like how you aren't completed removing the double chin, but just de-emphasizing it. That is a much better approach. I'm sure your friend will love the final product. Be sure to share your final results with us!

I'd also like to see a version without the vignette (the soft border).

~T
I'm in the same opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Here Is Where I Am At

Thanks For your Oninions Everyone. Thought I Would Show You Where I Am At...diana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PRINT222.jpg (98.1 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 AM

Help with Double Chin

Hi everyone,

this is my first time in here. I have made a quick rough attempt at working on the lady's face. I have taken a different approach, in that I have not attempted to "remove" the double chin, but rather I have made it appear a little smaller and her face a little narrower.
I wanted to retain the character of the lady's face. Anyone who knows her will know she has a double-chin, so to totally remove it will take away her character. If anyone wants me to try that, I am happy to do so though!
It is late and I am off to bed, if anyone likes the version I did, or wants me to totally remove the extra chin, leave a message and I will do so. I can explain how I achieved my result too.

Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NANCY before & after.jpg (91.9 KB, 155 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 09:55 AM

Help with Double Chin

Ok, I weakened and quickly fixed the chin further. A little rough and ready, but let me know what you think.

Take care everyone, sleep at last :-)

Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NANCY100 before & after.jpg (93.1 KB, 163 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 12:36 PM

It looks much better to me, diana.

coolux, I like the neck part in the second one, because it looks convincing.
By the way, the lower part of her left ear looks a little strange.(maybe because of distance change between the ear and the chin) Good job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Cool This Is For You

Cool,

Both Versions Look Great. I Especially Like The One Where You Left The Chin. That Is My Sentiments. Getting Rid Of It Is Too Much Change. Your Version Is So Much Better Than Mine. Please Do Leave Instructions On Your Method. Thanks So Much For Your Input...diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 12:46 PM

Help with Double Chin

Hi everyone, sorry, I did not notice this 2nd page with your comments on it. I did the retouching in Corel Photopaint, so I hope I use the same terminology as you.
For the 1st image I began by making a soft-edged selection of the lady's jaw at the right of the pic. I then darkened it using levels and it made her face look a little narrower right away. The selection has to be very soft to blend into the rest of the face. Then I cloned a small part of her hair over her face on both sides to narrow the face further.
I usually clone as much as possible, as blurring/smudging rarely looks realistic. In this case though, there was very little to clone from on the neck, so I cloned out the crease in the neck and then smudged it a little to smooth it out. Then I added some noise to take away the blurry look. I used the dodge/burn tool to darken the neck, and that was about it.
Now, the 2nd image introduced a technique I notice no-one here is using. The most realistic looking jaw is going to be a real jaw. So what I did was make a rough selection of Nancy's jaw line (does not have to be accurate, just make sure it is all covered) and copy that to a new layer. (In Photopaint the click of a button creates a new layer from a selection). I then slid the jawline up her face to where I wanted it. Then I used clone/smudge/add noise to remove the old jaw line and clean up the neck a little. This did not blur the new jawline as that was on a new layer. I flattened the layers and blended anything around the jaw that stood out. I used the dodge/burn tool again to slightly darken the jaw line and make it continuos.
It is fairly rough as I did that quickly very late last night. With more time available I would have made it perfect. The ear was a bit weird as you said, that is because it was late and I did not even notice it...lol. Talking of late, it is 3.45am here now!! I had better get some sleep. I have another 'before and after' to show you of my neighbour. His double chin is slightly trickier as he is front on and does not have a definite jawline. I will post it for anyone to try. How do I start a new thread please?
I have been restoring photos for a long time and I am happy to help anyone any time. Ask away if you are ever stuck on something.
Brian.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2005, 03:53 PM

I gave it a go! I hope it's worthy..

(Using Photoshop 7)
Step 1: Duplicate Background layer
Step 2: Auto levels (I know-how lazy of me )
Step 3: When I looked at the red channel, it was really blown out, so there was not much tonality in the skin. To fix this I simply created a Channel Mixer adjustment layer- Checked the Monocrome box, turned the Red Channel to 0% and turned the green up to 100%. You will see that the image will be Black and white. To fix this change the Blending Mode to Luminisity. This will bring back the detail and tone to her face. (Thanks to Katrins book!)
Step 4: I used the Liquify tool to push the skin on the neck up towards the chin. The patched the wrinkles/shadows. Fading each patch slightly to let the old skin show through.
Step 5: Lasso the skin on the neck, add noise (I thought it was still too smooth!)
Step 6: Whiten teeth, brighten eyes, fix baby red eye.
Step 7: Flatten image and Save!

On a totally different note, I took the flattened image and made her face appear slimmer with a technique I believe is found either in A: Katrins book or B: Scott Kelbys book. I will have to find some more time to write how I did that, but for now I hope this helped.

Amber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NANCY100.jpg (98.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg nancy-Retouch.jpg (92.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg nancy-Slimmed.jpg (93.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Before-and-After.jpg (98.6 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Dreamypix; 04-07-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 PM

Re: Help With Double Chin

Hi,

I'm new to PS and have been doing pretty good up to this point... but I found this forum looking for a double chin solution from a face-on view. Your before and after look amazing!

I don't guess you have a video tutorial of how you did it somewhere do you?

I can follow what you are talking about just reading up until step 4. I mean, I know 'what' you mean, but no idea about levels of things i.e. noise, brush 'set" (?), levels adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Paul View Post
I gave it a quick go...

1. Duplicate image
2. Use liquify to remove double chin
Filter>Liquify

Use the freeze tool and freeze areas of the lower face that you do don't want changed.

Now use the Forward Warp tool to slowly push the unmasked areas of the face up...removing the double chin.

You can use the Thaw Mask tool to unfreeze areas, and you might experiment with the pucker tool on the chin area.

Select OK

3. The new chin area might have some jaggies....use the blur tool to soften these areas.

4. Add a bit of noise to the overly smooth areas.

5. Create a new layer, use a brush set to multiply and opacity of 10%, color black...paint in shadows along the neck of the new chin area. Lower this layer's opacity if you need to.

6. Apply a levels adjustment to boost the colors

7. Apply a slight unsharp mask
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help