RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Noisy JPEG Images

Old 04-04-2005, 01:02 AM

Noisy JPEG Images

I have an image that I took with my old Olympus D600L camera that I absolutely love. Very noisy image and I'd love to be able to fix it without losing the edge detail. Anyone have any suggestions for the best approach. I've used both Dfine and Neat Image and neither give me satisfying results. I'm willing to spend some time on it, but wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep the edges intact beyond using a mask or the history brush to paint the edges back in? Some nifty 'edge' trick????

TIA,
KJ Sargenti
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris_sm.jpg (22.8 KB, 87 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 AM

You may want to try byRo 10 minute Toolkit.atn. You' find it in the Resource section of RetouchPro.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-chris_sm.jpg (75.5 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Duv; 04-04-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 AM

kjsargenti@hawa, first let me say welcome to RP.

Are you just looking for a shortcut for future projects? I ask because this image really isn't that time intensive. I did a quickie job in about a minute and a half using a layer mask.

1) Duplicate layer.
2) Apply gaussian blur
3) Hold alt and click the mask button on the bottom of the tool pallet (this fills the mask with black).
4) Using white paint and a smallish air brush I painted the edges to remove the noise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chris_sm.jpg (48.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by cardmnal; 04-04-2005 at 11:06 AM. Reason: missing image
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks to both of you. Downloaded byRo. And, to the question about shortcuts, yes... I have lots of old photos from the D600L that I'd love to be able use.

Mahalo, KJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Unhappy Where's Da Noise?

Forgive me for asking but what is this "noise" exactly? For some reason I can't see what you guys are talking about . . . Help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 05:18 PM

Have to agree with you Amanda. On the basis of the posted image, there is little noise on the image. Quite a bit of posterisation due to reducing it to 100K, but not too much noise. That's not to say that the original image is without it though, therefore the advice given is valid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 PM

Posterization, is that what it is called. It's not what I consider photographic noise but there is some distortion along the edges of the oar and with closer inspection along the shoreline and skyline. that is what I attemprted to repair.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 01:29 AM

Cardmnal the areas you're talking about look to have some jpg artifacts, and your way of getting rid of them works fine.

Posterisation is what is visible across all of the image, and is caused by compressing a large file down to a much smaller one. In doing this, what is lost is the smooth transition from one colour or shade to another. Instead the transitions become stepped, giving an effect very similar to the one created by the posterising filter in PS.

The posterisation fault will not be on the original image, so will not be the "noise" that KJ Sarjenti is trying to remove. Perhaps a close up of the noise he wants removing would be helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 AM

Cool, I love learning new stuff...even terminology.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 03:49 PM

It seems I used the wrong terms for what is the problem... but it's the pixelization in the water and sky, (and in my grandson's face) that I object to. Using blur and a mask, I was able to get rid of the most of it, but lost the edge definition in the clouds/sky both sky & relection on water. The major edges between land/sky/canoe/grandson I was able to keep via the mask, but when bringing them back into the cloud/sky area, it re-introduced more pizelization that I wanted. Frankly, I was hoping for a magic bullet... <smile>

Thanks to all for your feedback,

Aloha, Kathy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help