Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Open Typefaces?

Old 04-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
There are some font groups on yahoo that share, but its upto you to find them.
Commercial fonts are licensed software just like Photoshop, etc., and it is not legal to "share" such things. Just because it may be a common practice still does not make it legal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Oh well, just have to wait til I win the lottery I guess. Anyways, I just wanted to play with it. If you dont know what I am talking about go to and check it out. Really cool.

Maybe someday. But thanks, ya'll.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Here's everything you could ever want to know about OpenType. Just like PostScript and TrueType fonts, they're available in libraries, individually, and free (check Google). A dozen or so are installed for free with Adobe Reader (formerly Acrobat Reader). Search your drive for *.otf.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Thank You Thank You Thank You, Doug!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Most of the Adobe programs (Illustrator & InDesign) ship with a basic set of OTF fonts, at least they got installed on my machine when I installed the CS package. I had problems with them though and took them off my computer and went back to PostScript fonts.

The problem was that some of the high ASCII characters (bullets, TM, Copyright etc.) would display correctly on the screen, but print out garbage when printed to PS printer or RIP. Optical kerning was nice, but I'd rather have accurate printouts 'cause that's what my customer's expect. Also, old files, when opened in Illustrator, PageMaker, InDesign, FreeHand etc. did not pick up on the fact that the old PS font had been replaced by the new OTF versions and not display the "Font Missing" dialog. Most would appear on screen, but print as Courier. I would have to manually go in and change all the fonts on screen with the OTF version. InDesign was smart enough to show me in pink highlight what fonts were not present, but none of the other applications did.

FileMaker Pro is really quirky about fonts. Even with Suitcase you can't add fonts on the fly, but must quit the program, install the font then relaunch FMP. Even though every other program recognized the OTFs (once properly installed), FMP refused to see many of the Helv Neue families. I have 20 years of customer files using PS fonts and could see painful hours of changing them, so just went back to PS fonts before I got in too deep.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help