RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Open Typefaces?

Old 04-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Open Typefaces?

What exactly is an Adobe open typeface? Are there open typefaces made by someone other than Adobe? THis is in reference to a tutorial on RussellBrown.com. Please, can someone explain this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 AM

Hi

I am not sure i have seen any tuts say that but i thought an open typeface was a type of font, i maybe wrong, so i hope someone comes and tells US!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 09:20 AM

AFAIK, it's the "new standard" in fonts (as opposed to TrueType and PostScript fonts). This being a font that is truly a font that is cross-platform. An OT font can be shared with a PC or Mac. The advantage here is more with large blocks of text and where fonts even though they both may be, say "Helvetica" may not be from the same font foundry and therefore may not have the same metrics within the font. This would throw pageflow way off within a document when sent off for printing if you designed something on a PC in "program X" and even if your Printer opened it up in the exact same program, but they opened it up on a Mac the page flow would be different because the font metrics would be different due to the differences in the construction of the font itself. With the creation of the OpenType font this can now be avoided because the exact same font can be used on both a Mac and a PC.

Of course there is also a type of font that is "hollow" that is considered an open typeface. I believe Caslon is considered an open typeface.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 11:30 AM

So it is a font...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Interesting info and I am glad to know it. I knew it was a font type, but I wanted to know how they were different from any ol font - lol. But on this tutorial from Russell Brown, he opens up a window in Photoshop and another in Illustrator that gives different options for types of letters in the same font. There are options such as Ordinals, Swash, Contextual Alternates, Stylistic Alternates, etc. He refers to "fine typography" (dunno if that means anythign in particular - lol). The font he uses in the example is Beckham Script.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 04:21 PM

I am also wondering, are there any of these that are free? Even limitedly? lol Adobe OpenType gallery or whatever is freakin $8,999!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 04:29 PM

I believe a few of the MS fonts are updated during some of the various SPs - those are updated for free. But honestly, from a typographical POV you get what you pay for. I can't say that any "free" font that I've ever downloaded was ever a "quality" font. And by "quality," I mean one with a full character set, one with hinting, one with kerning pairs, etc. Typography is an artform unto itself. A well-made font takes a lot of time, patience, energy, skill, and talent. I would doubt that you would find any legitimately free OT font out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 06:56 PM

How Much?

*for just one font*
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 06:58 PM

There are some font groups on yahoo that share, but its upto you to find them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
How Much?

*for just one font*
That will certainly vary depending upon the font. Remember that technically Bold, Italic, and Bold Italic are all separate fonts. MS Word and the like *fake* these items for most fonts. A properly designed font has each of these items as a separately designed face and therefore its price may be reflected as such. But on average, expect to pay $25 to $100 depending upon the popularity of the font.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help