RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

discolouration on persons face

Old 04-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Well despite time constraints, I couldn't resist. I'm an oddball, I like dealing with discolorations.
First I decided to deal with the stain across the lady's face. I selected the stain by using magic lasso, set on magnetic, feather at 15 pixels, made a layer out of it, and used a combination of soft light sampling from a good skin patch, and a soft color brush. Went into selective color, removed some magenta, some blue, then blended the layer using color.
Decided to deal with the stain over the tie next. Sampled the tie color, then removed the color entirely from the tie, and replaced it in color layers until I was satisfied. Used overlay to pull back detail.
Removed the stain from the shirt part by using soft light matching the surrounding area until I was satisfied.
Used softlight to remove the stain around the subjects in solid areas.
Sampled a good section of background color on the misty green, then used it to replace the color on the rest.
Chose a sienna color, then went over the tree behind the fella.
Went back to the lady, selected a skin swatch, sampled the color, then went over the discolored areas. Feathered in the remaining lines with a bit of the heal brush, then cloned what I was happy with.
The trick to this one was to get a result I liked, then reduce the result by half by using fade brush tool.
Despeckled it by hand, then ran it through neat image and reduced the noise by half. Added a bit of grain and here you go.

Teri
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terivon-rtpstain.jpg (76.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 05:42 PM

Your welcome Gary and Flora i wouldnt have a clue where to start or how you did it, what is the channel thingy i shall go have to do a google search or look on search here.

Keep up with the good work!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 PM

I am always amzaed by Flora's version. really fantastic job. I worked on this for two hours but still can't make it. here is my version.

realaqu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg version5matchedcolor.jpg (97.3 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by realaqu; 04-11-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 01:23 AM

Well done Terivon and Realaqu on your restorations, they're both excellent.

Legacy, what is it you want to know about channels, will help if I can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 02:28 AM

Thanks Gary

this is my final version, I add some noise on the woman's face to fake the details and paint some lights back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finalbyrealaqu.jpg (98.8 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 02:51 AM

Was'nt happy with a couple of things with my earlier posts. So had another play around with it. I think this is probably my final rendition of this image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photo R2_filtered.jpg (73.6 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 05:01 AM

Hi everybody,

thank you all for your kindness .... Great jobs!!!!

jackswan,

here is how I used Selective Colors:
  • Duplicated the Background.

• Working on the Duplicate, I clicked on 'Create a new Fill or Adjustment Layer' at the bottom of the Layers' Palette and, from the cascading Menu I clicked on Selective Colors (Method: Relative).

• In Selective Colors I tweaked: Reds, Yellows, Neutrals and Blacks leaving all the rest alone. (see values in attachments 3 and 4).

• This procedure had changed the whole picture (also parts I didn't want to change) so, clicking on the 'Selective Colors' Layer Mask, I pressed Ctrl+I to invert the mask (from white to black .... a black Mask hides everything of the layer it's attached to .... so, after this last procedure, I was, apparently, back to square 1 with discoloration and all ....)

• Working on the black Mask, with a soft white brush, changing its Opacity as necessary, I painted over the discoloration, revealing the corrections I had just done...

• Adjusted the Selective Colors Layer's Opacity ... and continued with my usual restoration routine .... (in attachment 1 my result after the Selective Color adjustment, in attachment 2 my Mask)

Hope this helps ....

Gary, Caitlin,

My 'magic wand' for skin softness is described in this Tutorial ... I go very, very easy with Neat Image and, most of the time, treating shadows and highlights separately ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Problem.jpg (97.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Problem1.jpg (97.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Selective-Colors.jpg (99.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Selective-Colors1.jpg (98.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Flora; 04-13-2005 at 07:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Aw Flora, you've shattered my illusions, I'll never look at things the same again.

Only kidding. Actually I've read your excellent tutorial on using Neat Image, so I had a fair idea of the method used.

Of course that does'nt mean I don't enjoy seeing it used by a Maestro (or is that Maestra).

Appreciate the information on selective colours, for some reason it's a method I seem to overlook. I really will have to pay it more attention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2005, 02:19 PM

Flora
Excellent job
realaqu
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help