RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

discolouration on persons face

Old 04-10-2005, 06:30 PM

discolouration on persons face

This photo had been kept in a photo frame for some time and was stuck to the glass. Had to scan it through the glass which resulted in the green marks on the womans face and a purple tint across her hair.
I am using Photoshop CS but am having difficulty with removing the discolouration on her face.

What would be the best way to tackle this?
Look forward to some advice.

Julian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photo.jpg (98.4 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by jackswan; 04-10-2005 at 06:33 PM. Reason: picture not attached
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 AM

Hi Julian, had a quick play with your image as follows.

Created new colour layer and sampled from good areas and painted colour into stained areas.

Selected still visible stained areas and copied to new layer, then adjusted levels of layer for best result. Adjusted opacity of layer to refine blend.

Cloned over visible joins to hide them.

Could'nt do much with man's tie, so tried to reconstruct it from good bits. (Not happy with this, probably better to take a tie from another picture and paste it on.)

Was'nt happy with area round woman's mouth, so did loose selection, copied and pasted to new layer, adjusted levels and colour balance.

Still needs work, but hope this helps a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photo R.jpg (80.1 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-11-2005 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Update picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 03:54 AM

I tried it last night it didnt work for me, i knew Gary or Flora would come up with the answers, thanks Gary i shall take that on board too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 AM

Gary, do you think you could go through those steps in even more detail for us newbies? I think I understand the basic idea, but am a bit lost about how exactly you did it.

Specifically this bit:
Created new colour layer and sampled from good areas and painted colour into stained areas.

Selected still visible stained areas and copied to new layer, then adjusted levels of layer for best result. Adjusted opacity of layer to refine blend.
My (rather pathetic) attempt to fix the red channel attached *lol*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photoface.jpg (77.9 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 06:24 AM

Hi jackswan,

Welcome to RP!

I'm a bit tight with time right now but here is my try .... (worked on the woman's face only)
I used Selective Colors on the discolorations ....

Gary,

Great job as usual!!

Legacy~,

thanks for your trust!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_problem-photo.jpg (99.5 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 06:28 AM

Caitlin,

... we cross-posted ....

It surely needs some adjustments .... but your attempt isn't 'pathetic' at all!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 09:04 AM

This site is becoming too addictive for me - instead of going away and reading Katrin Eismann's book properly like I've been meaning too for weeks - I hang out here, and can't resist dabbling with every restoration challenge that comes up!

I really want to learn how to do this particular kind of restoration though - I think I'm starting to get there - but I don't know if the technique I'm using is the most effective. (I still want to figure out how you get such smooth skin texture Flora!)

This what I did:
On the red channel I selected the stained area and adjusted brightness and contrast (the result being that messy close up I posted previously). I then adjusted colour balance for the modified area to remove the pink tinge. The rough colour edges that resulted I tried to remove with the heal and clone tool.

Then for the damaged blue channel I selected the face area from the green channel and copied and pasted it into the blue channel. With the area still selected I adjusted brightness/contrast to match the original. I then switched to RGB (area still selected) and adjusted colour balance to match the rest of the face.

Fixing the man's jacket I did with the same technique. For the white shirt I simply painting it out with the clone tool.

Finally a light pass through Neat Image, and dust filter. And slight levels adjustment (almost forgot that one!)

I screwed up on the hair in that first red channel modification, and decided not to bother starting from scratch again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photo3.jpg (96.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 04-11-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51 AM

Firstly, thank you Flora and Legacy for your kind comments, much appreciated.

Had a bit of spare time, so I've refined the picture a touch. It seemed a little high in blue, so I did a curves adjustment. Also cloned out a couple of things that needed cleaning up. Finally ran through Neat Image to reduce noise.

Caitlin, what I did was create a new layer, set blend mode to colour. Now I clicked on brush tool. By holding down alt key, the brush becomes a sampler. Now I just sample colours close to the stained area, and paint them over it.

Because there is also a difference in luminosity, the colour does not blend well, so it was necessary on some (but not all) of the areas to select them and paste them to a new layer. I like to do this rather than just adjusting levels, as it allows me to adjust layer opacity to give another fine adjustment. On the new pasted layer, I either adjust with levels, or curves, or both, to match the stained (and coloured) areas to the underlaying picture.

It is seldom possible to get an absolutely seamless match, so I usually clone over the joins. I usually do this on a seperate layer, as it makes removing bad cloning easy, and once more it allows you to adjust layer opacity for a more seamless join.

Hope I've explained this OK, I'm not the best at doing so.

As for how Flora gets her marvellous skin texture, I think she waves a majic wand, there's no other explanation.

Lastly Caitlin, don't decry your own effort, it was well done with a difficult subject. I tried your method first, and my own efforts were no better than yours. Sometimes it just isn't possible to get the results you wish, in which case try another technique, there's usually another way of attacking the problem if you search for long enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem-photo R2_filtered.jpg (78.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-11-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 PM

Nice Job!

Hi Everyone,

Nice work! I took one look at this one and RAN for the hills!

Flora - As always super job. Would you be so kind to tell us how you did this in more detail. I want to practice myself and maybe I will not run for the hills next time -

Great Job!
Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks everyone for trying to fix this photo. As I am just starting with Photoshop, found this very difficult, just did not know where to start. But you have all given me something to aim for now.

You have all done a far better job than myself, just need some inspiration.

Flora, could you explain which way you used the selective colour? how did you go about it?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help