RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Splotchy skin when restoring old photo

Old 04-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Splotchy skin when restoring old photo

Hope someone can help me out here. I'm trying to restore this image and I can't seem to make the skin seem natural; it seems splotchy and uneven. Also, what's the best way to fix the shirt up but still keep some of the details? Any help would be muchly appreciated because it's driving me nuts. I'm starting to think I should quit while I'm ahead

Thanks, all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (90.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg restore.jpg (65.1 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 AM

Hi Moniker,

First of all welcome to RP.

Did you scan the image yourself. If so, try rotating the image 180 degrees and scanning again. Then overlay the two scannings in PS and set blend mode to lighten. The shadows caused by the texture and cracks are different in both scans due to the 180 degree shift, and will cancel each other out to some degree.

This often gives you a bit of a start, and will make later stages of your retouch easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome, Gary. Am I glad to find a community on restoration and digital manipulation. Have been browsing through the Manipulation Challenges. They're great and seem like lots of fun!

Thanks for the tip; unfortunately I don't have a copy of the original I can scan as I'm doing this for a friend's friend. However, I will keep that in mind for future work. I added a luminosity mask, which cleaned the image up a great deal but I'm fresh out of ideas for fixing the uneveness.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 AM

Smile Hi and Welcome Moniker

First I agree with Gary, that I to would scan the original in several different angles and overlaid them.

Here is my attempt. I used the healing and clone brushes and went over this image several times paying close attention not to remove any shadows and not to duplicate any patterns. I did whiten the eyes a little. I was not to concerned with the hair because of it’s original tight nap, so I used this to my advantage and just removed any un-natural patterns. I also color corrected the image. As a final adjustment, I add 0.5 Gaussian Blur to help conceal some of the cloning and healing brushes effects.

You will find that the people here are fantastic and always willing to help. I love this site!

Hope this was helpful – Welcome Again!

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original.jpg (90.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg jktry.jpg (99.6 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Hi Moniker, had a very quick play with your picture.

Ran a decrack action by Tim J Edwards. Sorry can't remember where I got it from. This got rid of the majority of the cracks. Cloned out the rest.

Then copied to a new layer, blurred using Gaussian Blur, then set blend mode to darken. (This got rid of any remaining thin white cracks.)

Then cropped picture slightly.

The action really did all the work, the whole job only took about 10 mins.
If I can remember where I got it I'll post.

PS. If you don't like the texture on the image, there are some excellent tutorials on this site. I believe Flora has posted one.

Just checked, the action is available here at RP in the resources section, look under Photoshop Files/ Photoshop Actions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original R.jpg (89.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-12-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM

Hi Gary and Moniker

Here is the location of the Decrack Action:

http://www.retouchpro.com/resources/fileinfo.php?id=14

I have not used it yet. After I post this message, I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks Gary!

Jon
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 AM

Had a play with the decracked image. Don't think you're going to get a sharp photo image out of this one, so tried something different.

First ran it through Neat Image, then painted in catchlights to the eyes, then created a new layer, painted over background behind head with grey sampled from dark areas. Set blend mode to Darken and Opacity to about 40%.

I think this gives a sort of Painted look to the image.
Also did a quick colour job on it. As you can see, colourising's not my forte, but it gives you an idea of what can be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original patched_filtered.jpg (77.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg original coloured.jpg (79.4 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 04-12-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Patron

Another Methode

Another method is to copy the layer and in that copied layer use the darken blending mode. Select the move tool and hit the left arrow x4. Thats all I did to this picture. Obviously lots more work needs to be done. Just a suggestion on an additional technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 03:54 PM

I used the Poloroid plug-in to reduce the "cracks". A fair amount of cloning and healing brush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-W.jpg (64.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 PM

Some great tips, guys. I'll have a play using all the techniques and see what I can get. I think Friend's friend will appreciate it anyway.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help