RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Fix badly aged and damaged photo

Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Fix badly aged and damaged photo

Hi,

1st post so please bear with me...

Using : PS CS

A friend has scanned the attached photo and resized it for the moment. He has had it for years (sadly he no longer has the dogs) and wishes to 'restore' it as best he can (or should i say i can).
Can anyone help ?
I don't mean do it (although that would be ok) but to point me in the right direction to do it myself. I will of course have the full sized image but if we can work on this smaller image then i can find out how best to tackle it.
I'm ok with PS as i use it frequently in web design etc, but i have never attempted anything like this restoration so i don't know where to start (or finish for that matter )..

Thanks for any help ,

cheers,

nacoya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bess.frannie.jpg (60.1 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2005, 09:03 PM

Really curious to know how that discolouration has occured. Do you know how it was stored/displayed? The fading is the opposite to what I would expect as I would expect it to fade to magenta exposed to the air/light - which would be in the centre of the picture if in an oval frame!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 01:47 AM

Hi Nakoya,

Had a quick go with your image. Selected the eliptical area, feathered selection, then adjusted colour using levels. Select inverse, then adjusted remaining area.
(It was'nt possible to get a good match adjusting just one area.)

Cloned along join area to hide it.

Lastly did a little hand colouring on discoloured areas, and adjusted lighting a little with curves.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bess.frannie copy.jpg (81.2 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 05:47 AM

Hi Nacoya,

Welcome to RP!

I started my restoration as Gary did: elliptical selection and strong feathering (10 pixels) ... then I tried a different (and much longer ... ) procedure .... including 'Color Balance' and Selective Colors' Adjustment Layers.

I used the 'Curves' to remove the very strong cyan cast and to balance lights and shadows...

Please, let me know if you'd like a detailed description of the steps I took ...

Gary,

great job in removing the 'fading' .... on my monitor, though, the contrast in your picture seems very strong and there's still a light cyan cast .... Since I'm having problems with the 'blasted' calibration thing .... I'd really like to know if it's just my monitor.... Thanks in advance ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_bess.frannie.jpg (99.0 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 05:49 AM

That is brilliant m8, You made it look/sound so easy.
I'm going to try and replicate what you have achieved to be confident i can do it then i'll give the actual pic a go.
I'll be in touch.

thanks again for your prompt reply..

cheers,

nacoya

Added:

hi flora,

just spotted your post while i was writing this..again i have to say results are fantastic.
If you can post/PM me the details then that would be brill as any/all help is appreciated. Then armed with all this help and info i can tackle the bigger picture and post back with how i get on...

cheers,

nacoya
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 05:56 AM

I think you are right about the colours Flora, the colour caste looks more accurate in your version to me. Then again the last thing my little laptop is is colour calibrated!! *lol*
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 08:58 AM

hi Flora, you're absolutely right about the contrast, I was in a bit of a rush to get out this morning, so I did a bit of a rush (sub-standard) job. Contrast is poor, colour balance needs adjustment, and some of the cloning is diabolical.

Hopefully I've got a bit of spare time now, so I'll play around with it some more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 01:23 AM

Sorry to come back to this so late. Had a few issues with my firewall that needed resolving.

Have addresssed contrast issue by lightening around the two dogs (where I thought I'd lost fur detail) by copying and pasting from original.

Then colour corrected whole image, and locally adjusted dogs.

Lastly cloned over some of the very obvious earlier clone marks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bess.frannie copy.jpg (80.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:34 AM

Thumbs down

Gary

Well done
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 03:39 PM

Thanks gary ,

and everyone brill job and i've learnt a lot. Now i need to convert my attempts, which consisted mainly a lot of trial and error into actually understanding what i'm doing and why.
Now i have a confession to make..it seems only fair as this is my first post and you guys have gone too much trouble.
My mate(lets name and shame) Ray, was going to send me the larger scanned picture except....he has found the negative .... so i thought it only fair to kick him around the room a few times and then put the scanned negative image in this post to show you..
I wonder now we can see the actual pic for the first time how close we could get to it...I've obviously resized it...

cheers,

nacoya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bess and Fran Negative Print_sized.jpg (88.9 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help