Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

How much border?

Old 04-24-2005, 04:35 PM
How much border?

I've created a collage for my sister as a birthday present. It will be put into an 11 x 14 frame and has 300ppi. I am wondering how much space I should allow around the edges to prevent any of the images from being hidden by the frame. I currently have 80 pixels (about 1/4") between the grey border and the edge of the image.

I used individual layers for the pictures, each with their own masks. Here is a link to a save-for-web version of the image:

Does anyone have any other ideas to make this project look even better?

Last edited by Ken Rogers; 04-24-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:01 AM
Hi Ken,

Welcome to RP!

Great idea and great collage .... I like it the way it is!!!

As for the size.... I'm not very good with 'inches' .... in my corner of the world we use 'cm' .... ... but, my advice is: while keeping the collage itself to the desired size (11 x 14), you could increase strongly the border only so that it gives you more freedom in the choice of the frame .... The border can always be cut back to adapt the picture to the exact size of the frame and exactly as you wish to have it .....

Sorry I couldn't be more specific with the size ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will likely increase the border a little.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Very nice collection of photos, and well set out. I've just checked the frames I use (A4 size), and without the card frame insert, they are exactly 1/4 inch from the inner edge to the edge of the viewable area. If the card frame is in, it's 1 inch to the viewable area. So you should be OK as long as the frame itself isn't too thick and there is no card inner frame .
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I like the collage if it was mine i would add 3/4 inch of white and a very fine line of black just to finish it off, but thats what id do, you would have to gage on what you like and how you would want it to look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Thumbs down Hi Ken!

Nice job and I really love the placements of the images. I see so many that are not put together with the composition/layout. When I first looked at this one, my eyes were not pulled in anyone direction or to a particular image – That’s Perfect!

As far as a boarder, I would only give it one if I was planning to frame it. After all, you do need to tuck it behind the matte to hold it in place. Rule of thumb – nothing less then ¼ inch if using a matte, otherwise it can be less.

Great Job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks to everyone for your praise and suggestions. This project was a lot of fun to make, but felt much like a game of Tetris as I struggled to find good places for each image without over-crowding the other images. I wish I had known some shortcut for inserting borders around the individual images, as this part was lot of work.

Legacy~Art, I like your idea of adding a fine line of black around the outside. Could you elaborate on this? I am envisioning 3/4" of white outside of my gray border, which means there would be 1/2" of "viewable" white. The gray border would have a thin line of black around its' outside edge. Is that your idea?

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help