RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Backround change Request

Old 05-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Well, that will come in handy!!

I had tried the selection brush but didn't try the mask mode. It seems a bit jerky on my computer, but I can see where it will be very useful and the fault may very well be my computer not Photoshop Elements.

Thanks for suggesting that,

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks, as a beginner I found it easier to understand than the layer masks.

BTW, you answered before I could edit my original post. To invert the selection, use Shift + Ctrl + I. Otherwise you get a color inversion. YUK!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 05:19 PM

The only thing that would trip me up with the selection brush is if I neglected to save the selection and then had to go back and select it all over again. I remember doing that more than once when I was first learning to use quick mask in Photoshop!

With the two color layer, it stays there until you delete the layer.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 05:49 PM

I know what you mean but I recently discovered that, now that I know how to use layers, I could go back to that layer, go to Select > Reselect and it was there! Then I could touch up my selection again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 01:35 AM

thank alot

For all the explanations, and sorry for the confusion: i work with ps 7, and i already understand layer masks.
But i still have 2 questions:
1) Gary, what extraction tool did you use?
2) Contrast mask: I use This tutorial. But i got confused in the middle.
When i paint the guy in black totaly, i want to paste this into the layer mask directly, but when i paste it just opens a new layer.

And thx again everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 07:34 AM

Hi Anaboli, Sorry we kind of got off on a tangent there yesterday.

I found this tutorial on using the Extract Filter - I don't have PS 7 so I don't know how well it works, but I remember using it in PS 6 and it worked quite well.

Getting back to contrast masks, I think what Duv probably did was duplicated the background layer (always do this in case we make a mess of the image ) then click on the Layer Mask button to make a layer mask on the duplicate layer.

Now on the duplicate layer in the layers pallet you have the icon that shows the image and beside it is a white box. Hold down the Alt + Shift keys and click on the white box. Now pick the paint brush tool and black paint and start painting on the guy in the image - you will see him start to be covered with red - that is the mask! at the same time, black will be appearing in the white box.

Don't worry, the red is just a visual clue telling you if you've painted enough. If you paint over the lines, switch to white paint and paint over it until the red is back where it belongs.

To see the black/white on the main image screen, hold the Alt key and click on the white box, to toggle back to the image hold the Alt key and click again.

To toggle the red guck off the image, hold the Alt + Shift and click on the white box.

The tutorial you were following before (which is excellent for trees and stuff like that) wouldn't be the best way to extract the guy in this image - but that's just my opinion.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 08:47 AM

Anaboli, as I said in my second post, I used the Extract Filter in PS7 to seperate the figure from the background (that is the name of the tool).

Find it by clicking on Filter/Extract, or use shortcut Alt+Ctrl+X to open up filter dialogue box.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but can sometimes give good results without too much effort.

Haven't got a tutorial for using it, but if I find one I'll post it.

Found a tutorial for Extract Filter here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...atar~mode=flat

Scroll down the page, there's a whole lot of instruction on other selection methods that's well worth reading. You'll find it under "Beyond Polygonal Lasso".

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 05-08-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2005, 07:12 PM

Photoshop Elements and layer mask

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwintoo
I use Photoshop Elements so there is no "Layer Mask" like there is in PS CS so what I sometimes do is make a new empty layer, fill it with some really odd color like bright yellow - or a color that isn't in the original image, change the blending mode to "color" or any of the blending modes that lets you see through the color.
Just to let you know that you can use true layers masks in Photoshop Elements (and channels, quick mask mode, channel mixer and curves) with the free tools of Paul Shipley. You can found this tools in this url: http://member.melbpc.org.au/~pshipley/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help