RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Backround change Request

Old 05-07-2005, 03:55 AM

Backround change Request

I've tried with no success to change the backround to sea/ocean one.
Can someone help me?
Thank you in advance.
The Picture
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 08:57 AM

Hi Anaboli,

Welcome to RP.

Had a quick go with your image. Removed guy from background using extract tool. Copied and pasted to new background.

Blurred background and applied graduated layer mask to give depth to background.

Ctrl+ clicked on man, Select/Modify/Border to select edge of figure, set radius to about 4 pix. Blurred using Gaussian Blur about 1.1 pix radius. This to set figure into background better.

New layer, cloned out a few highlights in hair.

Levels adj layer to adjust lighting on figure.

Hope this helps a little.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocean Plus copy.jpg (87.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (17.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 09:12 AM

Wow, thats great

I understand the overall process, but i had problems with the extraction:
How did you remove the guy? what extact tool? I use Magnetic lasso.
Thx again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 09:44 AM

More or less same as Gary, but removed background with background eraser tool. Had a bit of trouble getting new background to match, as the lighting on the face wa a bit bright
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 11:13 AM

Hi Anaboli,

I used the extract filter which is a tool in Photoshop.

If you're using a different image editor, try background eraser. As you can see, Chris got excellent results using it. I think its available in most of the popular image editors.

The lasso tools are OK for certain jobs, but lack a little finesse. let us know which programme you're using, and we'll be able to give you more precise info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 AM

Good results guys! I was surprised how well Chris's came out using the Background Eraser. I've never used it because it throws away pixels. If you have Photoshop, one of the best ways I know for extracting is to create a contrast mask. Here's what I ended up with.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-P1010120.jpg (87.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: gif Contrast Mask.gif (13.4 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Duv, you're not being fair to a newbie - if there are any around

There are lots of ways to make a contrast mask.

I use Photoshop Elements so there is no "Layer Mask" like there is in PS CS so what I sometimes do is make a new empty layer, fill it with some really odd color like bright yellow - or a color that isn't in the original image, change the blending mode to "color" or any of the blending modes that lets you see through the color.

Then I pick a contrasting color and start painting on the new layer over the parts that I want to keep.

The attached file shows how I created a mask for your picture. I filled the whole layer with yellow, set it's blending mode to color and then painted the guy with blue. When I was satisfied that I had him all painted blue, I used the magic wand tool and clicked on the blue (could have clicked on yellow I guess) and all of the guy was selected. Then switch to the layer where the actual image is and copy or delete or whatever you want to do. You could also save the selection under the save menu.

When I first started using Photoshop - I was unfamiliar with the term "mask" and it took me forever to figure out it was a fancy name for "selection" well ok, the purists are going to say there's more to it than that, but for my humble pursuits, that explanation is good enough so my "layer mask" method works for me and I'm sticking to it.

Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue.jpg (22.5 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Point very well taken Margaret. As Gary suggests, knowing what program is being used can be very helpful. I'm as guilty as the next person assuming that most use PS and would indicate otherwise. I also have Elements and like your solution. I'll give it a go. Always interesting to learn work arounds in other good programs.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 02:33 PM

There is another easy way to do a mask in Photoshop Elements too.

While there is not "Layer Mask" button like there is in PS, the adjustment layers do have a "mask" and you can use them to make a selection. Just make an adjustment layer but don't make any changes, remember you're only interested in the mask part of the layer. Now Ctrl+i will cover the mask with black and you can paint on the image with white paint to select the parts you want to keep.

This approach can be very confusing for a new person but once you get the hang of it, it works very slick. What used to make me nutz was that I could never see where I had painted with white because this doesn't really show anything on the image itself.

Sooooo when the mask is black, if you hold the Alt (or option) + Shift and click on the mask, a red film will appear over the image and as you paint with white, it will look like you're scraping away the red. Makes it easy to see if you've got it right. To toggle the red film off, just Alt+shift and click again.

Of course remembering this has cost me some memory cells for other important stuff - where did I put the car keys, where's my bank book, what's my name..............

duh........
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2005, 04:37 PM

While were talking about Photoshop Elements and masks for selection, there is an even easier way. Use the Selection Brush in Mask mode. That is the box with a paintbrush in it.

The image fills with a variable opacity, translucent red which you can then scrape away by holding down the Alt key. You can change the size and hardness of the brush, even feathering your selection. Scrape away too much, release the Alt key and paint the red back on.

Once you are satisfied with your selection, click on any other tool on the Tool Palette and you get the marching ants. You can then copy your selection to another layer or, in the case of wanting to get rid of a background, invert your selection by doing Ctrl + I and cut.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help