RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Perhaps someone can lend a hand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks Gary!

tb5821,

The colours in this picture are faded and there is a 'greenish' colour cast. After having tried with the 'Set Grey/Black/White Point Curves and Levels and not getting anywhere, I did the following:

to remove cast and partially change colour

I'm not a 'correct by the number' person, so, whenever I try to correct colours, starting from the obvious choice, in this case 'green', I 'move' all the sliders until, in my eyes, 'it looks right' ... the changes made affect all of the image, so, I use the Layer Masks to show the changes only where I want them.
  • Created a couple of Hue&Saturation Adjustment Layers ... In the first AL I corrected cap and faded green jeans of the boy closest to his father. (Attachment 1)
  • In the second I removed the overall greenish cast, particularly visible on the left side of the picture, by decreasing the 'greens' saturation until I was satisfied.

Skin Tones, other colours and turning the car black.
  • Created a couple of Levels AL: (Attachment 2)

Skin/Hair etc.
  • Red
    Input Levels: 20 ; 1.21 ; 255
  • Green
    Input Levels: 12 ; 1.00 ; 255
  • Blue
    Input Levels: 36 ; 1.05 ; 255

Car (Black)
  • RGB
    Input Levels: 26 ; 0.41 ; 213

After the basic colour correction, to further correct, enhance, you can add blank Layers (Blending: Color, Overlay, Soft Light) and with a soft brush (colour, black, white ; Opacity as necessary ... I usually start very low ... 10%, and 'build' gradually) I paint over the parts that still need fixing.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hue&Sat.jpg (53.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ColLevels.jpg (77.4 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 AM
Doug Nelson's Avatar
Doug Nelson Doug Nelson is offline
Janitor
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,068
Blog Entries: 21
Was the idea to restore some of the lost color, or to make a non-black car black? There are obvious color cues in the image (skin, brick, bluejeans, black shadows). Uploading the image as a GIF (which discards most color information) confuses things a bit. I blurred the image to smooth out the damage from GIF compression, used a Hue/Sat layer to restore the missing color balance and saturation, then sharpened a bit to restore the damage done by the blurring (skip steps 1 and 3 if you have the original non-GIF scan available).

And on further examination, was the original hand-colored?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldpic[1].jpg (23.1 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 05-11-2005 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Decided to use a copy of the original with blending mode set to luminosity instead of a sharpening layer. Looks much better.
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 05-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Here is the picture with the grass .... I never thought of colouring it as I took it for gravel ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_oldpic1.jpg (59.4 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 05-11-2005, 03:55 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Was the idea to restore some of the lost color, or to make a non-black car black? There are obvious color cues in the image (skin, brick, bluejeans, black shadows). Uploading the image as a GIF (which discards most color information) confuses things a bit. I blurred the image to smooth out the damage from GIF compression, used a Hue/Sat layer to restore the missing color balance and saturation, then sharpened a bit to restore the damage done by the blurring (skip steps 1 and 3 if you have the original non-GIF scan available).

And on further examination, was the original hand-colored?
Good points Doug,
I didn't know that GIF discards most colour information!

I thought the idea was "to restore some of the lost color" and worked in that direction ... As for the car, I went for....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5821
how can I make the car black?
At first, I also thought it could have been hand-coloured, but somehow I'm not really convinced....
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 05-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Doug Nelson's Avatar
Doug Nelson Doug Nelson is offline
Janitor
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,068
Blog Entries: 21
Yeah, GIF is limited to 255 colors, tosses out the other 16+million.

And the original image is obviously not hand-colored, I think I may have stumbled across a faux-handcolored technique
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 05-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks Doug!

....Just learned something new!!!
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 AM
tb5821 tb5821 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 87
Hey thanks alot guys for all of your help, i'm going to work on it a bit tonight, in the meantime any other deails you guys could provide would be great....


As far as I know the picture wasn't colored by hand.

I do have the original that I scanned in to ps.
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 05-12-2005, 08:30 PM
tb5821 tb5821 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Thanks Gary!

tb5821,

The colours in this picture are faded and there is a 'greenish' colour cast. After having tried with the 'Set Grey/Black/White Point Curves and Levels and not getting anywhere, I did the following:

to remove cast and partially change colour

I'm not a 'correct by the number' person, so, whenever I try to correct colours, starting from the obvious choice, in this case 'green', I 'move' all the sliders until, in my eyes, 'it looks right' ... the changes made affect all of the image, so, I use the Layer Masks to show the changes only where I want them.
  • Created a couple of Hue&Saturation Adjustment Layers ... In the first AL I corrected cap and faded green jeans of the boy closest to his father. (Attachment 1)
  • In the second I removed the overall greenish cast, particularly visible on the left side of the picture, by decreasing the 'greens' saturation until I was satisfied.

Skin Tones, other colours and turning the car black.
  • Created a couple of Levels AL: (Attachment 2)

Skin/Hair etc.
  • Red
    Input Levels: 20 ; 1.21 ; 255
  • Green
    Input Levels: 12 ; 1.00 ; 255
  • Blue
    Input Levels: 36 ; 1.05 ; 255

Car (Black)
  • RGB
    Input Levels: 26 ; 0.41 ; 213

After the basic colour correction, to further correct, enhance, you can add blank Layers (Blending: Color, Overlay, Soft Light) and with a soft brush (colour, black, white ; Opacity as necessary ... I usually start very low ... 10%, and 'build' gradually) I paint over the parts that still need fixing.

Hope this helps.

Flora, can you provide some more details on how you got these menus, for instance when I try to change the green color cast and move the sliders it doest change anything
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 05-13-2005, 05:33 PM
byRo's Avatar
byRo byRo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Goianésia, Brazil
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Yeah, GIF is limited to 255 colors, tosses out the other 16+million.
Whoah, there, Doug
You're making it sound like a GIF image is totally useless in terms of colour!!
While it will "round of" to the nearest colour, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to see any difference in a RP-size image.
OK. If you get too low in the colour count, things can get pretty ugly but the approximate colours are still there. In most images you won't lose colours until you get below 20 or even 10 colours.

Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 AM
philbach's Avatar
philbach philbach is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium, Wi
Posts: 1,332
Old Car

I think the original color of the car was green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldpic.jpg (20.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand Painting Artist johnnieB Salon 4 02-01-2007 03:27 PM
OPR: Hand Repair irshgrlkc Photo Restoration 14 10-29-2006 11:43 AM
Hand coloring inkjet printout skipc Photo-Based Art 7 02-16-2006 11:04 AM
Digital Hand Coloring zip022 Photo Retouching 2 04-28-2004 09:15 PM
Hand Coloring OhThatGirl2001 Photo Retouching 47 02-03-2002 07:54 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved