RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Perhaps someone can lend a hand

Old 05-15-2005, 07:57 AM

tb5821,

Hue&Saturation AL (used to correct jeans and remove the green cast):
  • Create a new Hue&Saturation Adjustment Layer by clicking on the 'Create new Fill or Adjustment Layer Icon at the bottom of your Layers' Palette.

• Just to make a small test, drag the Saturation Slider all the way to the right to increase your Saturation to 100% .... just to see where is what .... It really looks terrible but, at least, now we know which colours are there and can be changed/increased/decreased in our working copy. (Attachment 1)

• Now let's pin-point the colours exactly ... so, still in the Hue&Saturation AL, keeping the Alt key pressed click on Reset to go back to the starting point.

• Click on the small arrow on the right of 'Master' and, from the cascading Menu, choose all the coulours individually and repeat the procedure .... Now you know exactly what colour is where! (Attachment 2)

• In your picture I obviously started from the green .... first to change its Hue to 'blue' for the little boy's jeans .... (try moving Saturation and Lightness sliders as well until you are satisfied with the result .... Don't worry if the rest of the colours in your picture is off ... The Layer Mask shown in my previous post will take care of that!

• After changing the jeans colour, I created a new Hue&Saturation Adjustment Layer on top of the previous one and, going into the 'green' again, I simply decreased the Saturation to 0% .... This took care of the green cast particularly present on the front of the car ..... (Attachment 3)

Hope this helps....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColDis.jpg (94.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ColDis1.jpg (93.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ColDis2.jpg (80.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Thanks Flora you have been sooo much help...but I have pasted a link to the psd file...when I go into the hue/sat. (your second step) everthing is red....

http://www.silverscreencreations.com...dpic_small.psd
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 11:19 PM

Red face oldpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5821
Hey guys, perhaps someone can lend a hand, I have an old photograph (as you can see) i'm assuming that the car was black, but everthing I try to change in photoshop changes it to a blueish color (curves) or some other undesiered result... how can I make the car black?
Hi tb5821 !
I downloaded your pic, and it is indexed, that may be one of the problems. Unless you did that for some special reason I would suggest trying to convert it to rgb and then try with curves and levels. What I tried is first converted to rgb, selected the white areas, inverted the selection and used the paint bucket. Tried several modes, such as overlay, multiply etc.
If possible let me know if the above helped in solving the problem
Cheers

P.S.:
Well I have just noticed that you've had help from the real experts, the results are much better than what I got with my trials.
As to the color I agree that the original color was not black. I remember (sadly I do !! )that there were, apart from black, others painted olive green --those models are post II WW so there must have been quite a surplus of that color. Maybe that is another problem. What I don't understand is why it is saved as indexed color. So much to learn !!

Last edited by Marthig; 05-17-2005 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Didn't see all the other replies !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 07:39 AM

Hi tb5821,

I downloaded your picture from the link ..... I'm a bit confused .... What is the original you started from?

Is it the 'reddish' one ... or the one I worked on?

If it's the one I worked on ... could you, please, upload (on your link) all the steps that got you to the 'red' one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 AM

The original is the psd file (the one in the link). The one I uploaded to the forum before was a .gif from the psd file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 01:32 PM

Smile

....Now I understand ....

We worked on different pictures!! .... You on the 'reddish' original, I on the one you had posted, which you had corrected already ... and all my corrections were for the version I worked on ....

When you tried to apply 'my' corrections (desaturating the Greens etc.) to your original, you didn't get any reaction at all ... That is because in your original there aren't any greens at all .... actually, if you try what I wrote in my previous post ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora
Just to make a small test, drag the Saturation Slider all the way to the right to increase your Saturation to 100% .... just to see where is what .... It really looks terrible but, at least, now we know which colours are there and can be changed/increased/decreased in our working copy.
...on your original, you would see that the 'only' colour in your original is 'red' .. (attachment 1)

What I did now, is to create my first two Hue&Saturation ALs (with the exact values as described in my first post), and placed them on top of your 'color_fix' Curves Layer (attachment 2) ... as this has always been 'my' starting point ....

As you can see in attachment 3, now, my corrections worked on your version as well ....

Hope this helps ...

P.S. .... Unless you only wish a 'critique/opinion' on your work, it's always better to post the 'original' along with your corrected version ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mix0.jpg (81.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Mix.jpg (88.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Mix1.jpg (97.8 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks Flora, I will work on it tonight a bit and hopefully get the color cast corrected. Then I will follow your advice here:

Quote:

tb5821,

The colours in this picture are faded and there is a 'greenish' colour cast. After having tried with the 'Set Grey/Black/White Point Curves and Levels and not getting anywhere, I did the following:

Skin Tones, other colours and turning the car black.
  • Created a couple of Levels AL: (Attachment 2)

Skin/Hair etc.
  • Red
    Input Levels: 20 ; 1.21 ; 255
  • Green
    Input Levels: 12 ; 1.00 ; 255
  • Blue
    Input Levels: 36 ; 1.05 ; 255

After the basic colour correction, to further correct, enhance, you can add blank Layers (Blending: Color, Overlay, Soft Light) and with a soft brush (colour, black, white ; Opacity as necessary ... I usually start very low ... 10%, and 'build' gradually) I paint over the parts that still need fixing.

Hope this helps.

any other advice would be appreciated
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 03:26 PM

there is one other possibility here on the color of the car. the u.s. army used cars like that as staff cars, and they were painted, yup, army green. (but i dont see any insignia on the car, so it's pretty remote that was it).

K.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 05:22 PM

Phil, Kraellin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach
I think the original color of the car was green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
there is one other possibility here on the color of the car. the u.s. army used cars like that as staff cars, and they were painted, yup, army green.
You are probably both right!!!
I also remember seeing those 'camouflage' army-green cars in WW2 movies .... but it didn't really matter here since the request was
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb5821
how can I make the car black?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 PM

Quote:
You are probably both right!!! but it didn't really matter here since the request was
I only said black because that is what I thought it was
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help