RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

I don't know where to start?

Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Question I don't know where to start?

Hi everybody...

I want to fix this picture, but I don't know where to start, can you suggest me the steps to follow?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom.jpg (61.2 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2005, 06:12 PM

If you have Photoshop CS, I'd start with the healing brush and start with the "dots" in the hair and clothes. It would probably do pretty well on the scratches and creases, too.

If you have Photoshop 7 or earlier, the best tool to use is the clone stamp tool. Sample a similar area near the spot and carefully paint over it. Sometimes a softer brush will help with this.

If you're lucky and have CS2, you can use the Spot Healing brush which would be perfect for eliminating most of the "dots."

After you have the image cleaned up, then you can do any levels and color adjustments. If you are new to Photoshop, you can try playing with Variations in the Image>Adjustments menu.

Using only the items mentioned above, I took a quick stab at it. I didn't fix everything and what I did fix I didn't fix well, there were way too many jpeg artifacts for that. But it should give you an idea of where to start and what can be done pretty quickly.

I hope this helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom[1].jpg (99.4 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Hi arcadhia,

I don't have anything different to say from what Racc Iria wrote already about removing the spots .... I also work with PS CS but, if I remember right, Photshop 7 came with the Healing Brush already .... What I can't remember is if you could use it in the 'Replace' Mode like I did here ....

To correct the colour I used a Curves Adjustment Layer setting the Grey Point on a spot of cement between the bricks .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Mom.jpg (97.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 02:37 PM

You do remember right Flora. I use PS7 and it does have Healing Brush, and yes it can be used in Replace mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 PM

Im hoping you have the original to hand, if so you would be best rescanning the file at a resolution of 400dpi, this will make a bigger file but it will be less jaggy than the Jpeg version you have here. If your scanner will scan in 16bit then use it to capture more data. OK some of Photoshops tools/filters will not work on 16bit images but when you have cleaned the image up as suggested in other replies then you can save a stage and convert to 8bit.

Give the scanner glass a good a clean try to manually flatten the tears in the paper - use a scalpel and be carefull of your fingers - you dont want to bleed on the original. Do not use to much force to make the creases flat, they may tear more. Once you have repaired as much as you can, rescan the pic as suggested above. Turn the scanner sharpness down or maybe off, do a test. If it is too sharp then you will introduce more artifacts that you may end up taking out - on this sort of pic then Photoshops sharpness filter may help.

Good luck

bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2005, 05:10 PM

Like Flora I found a grey point.
Empty Layer for Cloning, Healing Brush
Empty Layer set to Softlight and worked the bricks, hair and dress
Used CS2 Noise reduction and Neat Image, but only on the face with NI.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mom-F.jpg (89.4 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2005, 01:50 PM

Talking Thank You All!

This would lead me to a good job... Thanks to You all!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help