RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Two problems

Old 05-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Beautiful save Flora!!
Only thing I would recommend is a little texture to the skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 01:02 PM

I like what you did, Flora.

I didn't think her hair was light until I saw your restoration.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Flora
very
good
job
!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 PM

Yes, I think Flora has accomplished what I aim to do remarkably well. Problem is I can't seem to get it done myself.

I was wrestling with the GIMP to boost the detail in her hair. I couldn't get it to happen. I went to the GIMP-based newsgroup and asked there. A nice guy did an awful lot of work that he said yielded a smiliar result, but I couldn't duplicate it on my end. I even rescanned it at higher brightness to try and get to it that way. It didn't help.

Throwing up my hands, I loaded a *cough* demo version of PSCS. I am now trying to get up on the learning curve enough to reproduce Flora's results. I'm here to tell you it's a humbling experience. We're leaving on vacation in a week and I hope to have it done by then, but yoikes! it's not going well.

I am currently scouring this site for a tutorial on removing all those darn specs. I think I can do plenty with the healing brush and other techniques I already know about (layer masks, levels, curves, etc.) to get it finished once I deal with the plethora of small problems.

Now, where can I find such a tutorial?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Hi Mark, to get rid of the small specks, try the following.

Duplicate the image. Apply Dust and Scratches filter, Adjust radius till marks disappear. Now adjust threshhold until texture re-appears, but blemishes are not visible. Apply hide all layer mask.

Now, using a soft white brush radius just larger than marks, paint on mask. This will reveal the blurring, and therefore hide the marks.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 08:25 PM

Need Some Direction

Thanks for that assist Gary. I found the filter and have tried to apply it as directed. Which brings me to this point. I have done a great deal of learning in Photoshop. I have a product which doesn't look too bad considering where I started. I would now like some opinions about what is left to do (contrast mask?).

This is kind of a labor of love and I don't mind working hard(er) at it. It's important to the family that this be done as best it can be done, but I've worked at it so long I can't see the picture for the pixels.

Attached is a jpeg and here is a link to a 2.3MB .tif file. Please help me out just a little more on this one folks.

Thanks.

CJR Portrait-intermediate.tif [2.3MB]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait.jpg (70.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 05-19-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 03:47 AM

Hi everybody,

Sorry to get back only now .... I'm having some problems with my email and I don't get notifications regularly ...

Vikki,

Thank you so much for your comment and advice! I corrected my previous restoration adding more texture to her skin as you suggested, lifting the strong shadow just above her left temple and increasing the shadow on her left cheek .... please, let me know what you think ....

soleah,

thank you very much for your kind words!!

EbooksList,

Welcome to RP!

....Thank you so much for your kindness!!!

Mark,

thank you so much for your feedback!
... I hadn't realized you weren't working with PS ...
I think you did a very nice job on this picture .... I've downloaded your intermediate version and will look at it ..

Since you have downloaded PSCS Demo, here are a list of Tutorials to help you out ...

Selection (Channel Masking)
... to select her hair and work only on that ...

here .. scroll down the page to "Method 3: CHANNEL MASK"
here

Layer Masks (beginners)

here

Removing specs

here

In these tutorials are the first steps I took for selectively correcting the problem areas of your picture ...

Hope this helps ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_CJR-Portrait_4a.jpg (99.8 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2005, 07:02 PM

And the saga continues...

Okay, I have continued to wrestle with this one. I'm learning more about Photoshop, mostly that there is a whole lot to know. This morning I took my latest jpeg draft to Wal-Mart and printed an 8 X 10 proof of the thing to check what I was getting. It looked pretty good, but the color was heavily saturated. I worked on it some more, added a couple of layers and tweaked some curves and the attached image is what I've come to.

I think it is representative of the 4 X 6 photo I started with and may actually make a passable 8 X 10 (her mother wants an 8 X 10). I still have some issues with the color around her left cheek and ear, but I can't figure out how to use curves or levels or B&C or H&S or the black arts to tone down the purple/red and still have a natural looking shadow with detail there.

I'd appreciate any further input. Flora did a remarkable job of pulling a corrected image together. She did in 20 minutes what has taken me two days with a passable knowledge of retouching and very little of PS. I swear, I can see what needs to be done, but the tool is so hard to get around in. It's like being forced to work with my left hand.

At any rate, the learning continues....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait-RAW.jpg (94.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 05-21-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Hi Mark,

WOW ... you are a very fast learner!!! Great job!!!

Please, bear with me .... I know it must be very difficult working with a software you've never used before, such a complex one like PS and having a kind of deadline!!!
But you are doing so well and your result is truly remarkable...

Now, "to tone down the purple/red and still have a natural looking shadow with detail there."
Working on the image attached to your last post:

Selective Colors Adjustment Layer... (the following are the values I used, but 'play' with them as our monitors may show colours differently .... )

REDS
Cyan: -46%
Magenta: -19%
Yellow: 30%
Black: -42%

YELLOWS
Cyan: 19%
Magenta: 4%
Yellow: -23%
Black: -32%

MAGENTAS
Cyan: 3%
Magenta: -100%
Yellow: 77%
Black: -73%

NEUTRALS
Black: 7%

As you can see from my Layers (Attachment 2) I inverted the Selective Colors Layer Maks so it became Black (to hide all the changes) and painted white to show the corrections only where I wanted them ... (as in the 'Understanding Layer Masks' Tutorial).

The purple/red was minimized, but the cheek-temple-neck were very 'blotchy' and lacking colour in some points so I created blank Layers setting their Mode to Darken, Lighten, Color and sampling from surrounding areas with a very soft edge brush (Opacity: 10-30% for Darken&Lighten; 40-60% for Color) I corrected tjose spots ....

To selectively enhance shadows/higlights I created a blank Layer Mode = Overlay and with a soft Black/White brush (Opacity 5-10%), I carefully painted on parts I wanted to emphasize.

A second Selective Color Layer:

REDS
Cyan: -37%
Magenta: -20%
Yellow: 11%
Black: 25%

Finally addition of a little Noise to selectively add texture ...

Hope this helps...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR1.jpg (95.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CJRLayers.jpg (92.8 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2005, 01:01 AM

Red face

Okay, that was very helpful. I've never seen the Selective Color trick. With all the controls in that segment I'm eager to find a tutorial that actually shows me how to use it. Be that as it may....

I've done some more work as you can see below. I think it's looking pretty good except for the ear. I have overworked the thing trying to get the earring to come up and I've made a bit of a mess, but its a small enough area that I think I can fake it.

Once again I've stared at it so long I don't know how it looks. Also, looking at the picture this is taken from, I'm not sure shooting for an exact match is a good idea. This photo is about 15 years old and surely suffers from exposure to sunlight and the elements. The print I made at Wally World this afternoon is oversaturated -- but have I gone too far in the other direction with the current version.

It's late. I'm tired. I also wonder when you sleep. Aren't you in Italy? That puts you something like 8 hours ahead of us.

Anyway, thanks for the continuing hand-holding. I couldn't have done it without you. And I'm not finished yet. If you could be so kind as to let me know what you think of this version, we'd all appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait.jpg (89.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 05-22-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help