RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Two problems

Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Two problems

Attached is a picture of my former spouse. She passed away two years ago but when she was in her early twenties, she had this portrait taken. We all like this picture, but the only surviving copy we have is a 5 X 7 that got wet and until yesterday was stuck to a piece of glass in a picture frame.

I wet the print and let it sit overnight and was able to peel it off this morning. Unfortunately, prevous attempts to remove the print resulted in some damage to the lower 1/4 of the image and a spot on her left cheek. There is also a lot of what appears to be dust or small white fibers on the image.

I've scanned the image and repaired much of the damage, but her arm and left cheek are missing some color. Also, her hair is a solid black mass. The photo I scanned this from has much better color and contrast, and there are gold highlights visible in her hair that you may be able to pick up if you increase the brightness of the attached image.

I would like some tips on bringing those highlights back and dealing with the color problems on her cheek and arm. I'm working on a CRT and I know other problems can be present without actually showing up on this monitor, so if you see something else don't hesitate to say so. I'm not sure about the contrast of this image either.

I appreciate any input you folks have.

Mark

CORRECTION: I said that I was "working on a CRT". What I meant to say was that I am doing this on an LCD display. Also, this is a small version of a humongous (33MB) tiff that I'm working from. I can put a link to a large format tif in this thread if it would be helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait_small.jpg (39.7 KB, 102 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 05-17-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 07:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Mark. A lovely lady.

The arm and cheek can be fixed fairly well with tools like Healing, but I think the bigger problem is the damaged blue channel which may be the result of peeling from the glass, water or sunlight damage. I couldn't find the golden highlights on my monitor but her bangs are clearly blue. I didn't have much success correcting the image but hopefully Flora, Gary or others might be able to help you here. Good luck.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
The arm and cheek can be fixed fairly well with tools like Healing, but I think the bigger problem is the damaged blue channel which may be the result of peeling from the glass, water or sunlight damage. I couldn't find the golden highlights on my monitor but her bangs are clearly blue. I didn't have much success correcting the image but hopefully Flora, Gary or others might be able to help you here. Good luck.
Hey Dave,

I'm working on the GIMP so I have no healing brush. I would like to know how I can fix it from scratch, if possible.

Also, I am surprised you can't see the highlights. Did you try boosting the brightness of the image? The blue channel looks okay to me. It's a little dark because I corrected a blue cast the image appeared to have after I scanned it. Then again, I don't know that much about this stuff.

I copied the image, desaturated it and inverted the tones on the attachment below. If you look closely (they're admittedly subtle) you can see dark whisps in her hair. These are the gold highlights. The data exists in the image. Now to my mind, I should be able to manipulate the image so that they appear more like the photo.

Anyway, thanks for looking at it. I appreciate your input and await more wisdom from the group here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait_small_inverse.jpg (32.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Mark Adams; 05-17-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 10:25 PM

I think it might help if you could post a link to a larger image - preferably before you did anything. It could be that what you have done/need to do needs to be done in a different order.

Christine
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 PM

Here is a link to a 2MB version of the image:

CJR Portrait_quarter-scale.TIF

It's cut down to 726 X 1026 pixels at 600 dpi. It's not a bad compromise between detail and manageable size. I can post a bigger one if need be.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 AM

Mark,

Looking at the tif file you posted the highlights only seem to be visible (to me) in the blue channel, by darkening this channel to remove the blue cast you have wiped out the highlights. If you can darken this channel without darkening the highlights on the hair you should get a better result.

This channel also looks as if it could use a slight blur.

IN PSCS I duplicated the layer and desaturated to get rid of blue - masked everything but the hair, added a levels adjustment layer to lighten the highlights a bit more and again masked out everything but the hair, layer mode set to lighten.

Christine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR-Portrait_web.jpg (81.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Xaran; 05-18-2005 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 04:20 AM

I tried to fix it tonight. but need more inputs to improve it.

realaqu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lady.jpg (94.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by realaqu; 05-18-2005 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 07:15 AM

Hi everybody,

Mark,

No wonder everybody likes this picture .... a beautiful picture of a stunning woman .... so sorry about your loss....

Now, for what I did... (using the .TIF picture from your link)

I got nice results with her hair in different ways used separately just to see which was the best here (at least for me... ) : Shadows/Highlight (PS CS only!! ), Channel Mixer; Curves; Levels .... Curves and Levels were used to lift the shadows .. and that alone was a big help already .... The best result I got was with Shadows/Highlight (strongly decreasing the saturation) ... but for those working with previous versions of PS here is an accettable alternative:

Hair
Channel Mask
  • Duplicated the Red Channel, the one with more contrast, further increased its contrast with the Levels, blurred it and selected the shadows.

• With the selection active, back to composite view and Layers, Ctrl+J copied the selection on its own Layer, working on the new Layer Ctrl+I to invert it and set the blending to Soft Light... That alone really makes a big difference already!!!

• The edges of the Mask are still a bit hard ... so ... working on your Soft Light Layer, G-blur it strongly (Radius=20 pixels) .... amazing, isn't it? ... The Mask edges have blended perfectly in and what was blurred during the procedure is now sharp again .... (I'm thinking of writing a Tutorial for an acceptable alternative to CS incredible 'Shadows/Highlight' ...)

After this, you can proceed with Levels, Curves, Brightness&Contrast to further lift shadows and enhance the highlights in her hair ... Using Layer Masks lets you apply the changes only where you want them .... See this Tutorial if you are not very familiar with them ....

For the colours, always with the help of Layer Masks, I tried everything until I was satisfied with the result .... Selective Colors, Hue&Saturation, Levels, Curves ... well, you name it ....

Hope this helps ....

Christine, realaqu,

great job!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_CJR-Portrait_quarter1.jpg (98.4 KB, 77 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 08:55 AM

Nice work everyone

What a beautiful lady, sorry of your loss Mark, i sure hope you get the picture fixed!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 09:12 AM

Hi Mark, had a quick play with the small image.

Duplicated image. Desaturated, Inverted, set blend mode to soft light, blurred with GB, adj opacity to about 65%. Applied layer mask, and masked all but skin and hair.

New layer, soft light, fill with 50% Grey. Using soft black/white brush at 5% opacity, paint to equalise tone on stained areas.

Clone layer, clone out small blemishes, then using clone tool at 35% opacity, clone to hide stain edges.

Colour layer, paint a little colour into stained areas, adj opacity of layer for effect.

Sorry didn't have time to do proper job on larger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJR Portrait copy.jpg (87.2 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help