RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Its not really a restore job but...

Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Its not really a restore job but...

any suggestions for this pic, perhaps the top right? or anything else you guys see wrong, if you could help me fix that would be great.

http://www.silverscreencreations.com...ette_small.psd
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Besides the top right....

You need to focus on the subject. The photo is about the man and the car, the background doesn't add much, actually is quite distracting.
Try blurring the background a bit, maybe desaturating too, darkening, lower contrast.......
As the car is very reflective it tends to end up almost invisible - so the job is a little bit more difficult than usual.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM

I slightly changed the highlights and shadows, and put another color balance layer to remove the blueish after my adjustment.

realaqu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realaqu_dad_corvette_small.jpg (99.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 12:34 AM

I thought I'd just take Realaqu's nice adjustment a bit further to incorporate Ro's ideas a bit. Blurred the homes a bit and cropped tighter. Of course with the tighter crop, if you were framing would require a special size.

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-realaqu_dad_corvette_small.jpg (84.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 06:30 AM

Can you give me some details into how exactly you did this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realaqu
I slightly changed the highlights and shadows, and put another color balance layer to remove the blueish after my adjustment.

realaqu
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 AM

Hi

My work starts form red one, use image->adjustment->shadow/hight,
I set 3 sample points to check if there exists color cast( I assume they are all neutual areas) then put a color balance adjustment layer to correct it. becasue at 1# sample point, there is strong blue color cast. so I use another curve layer, the green one, to get rid of blue cst on masked area.

because I deleted my original PSD file, so I don't have detailed data on this picture. hope this could do a little help.

realaqu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realaqu.jpg (96.6 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 08:23 AM

I agree with Duv & Ro about blurring the background - I've just pushed it a little further. I worked on your 'edit layer', deleting all other layers/adjustments. Apart from that (Gausian blur of b/g), and level adjusts, I also adjusted colour balance, increased the saturation of the foreground a little, USM, and Neat Image noise removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad_corvette_smalbl.jpg (97.9 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-19-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
I worked on your 'edit layer', deleting all other layers/adjustments. Apart from that (Gausian blur of b/g), and level adjusts, I also adjusted colour balance, increased the saturation of the foreground a little, USM, and Neat Image noise removal.

I think I will def. Gausian blur the background. Can you tell me what you adjusted as far as color, and saturation and the settings. What is USM?

I also used Neat Image to remove the noise but I didn't apply it to the payvement...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Hi tb,

Mostly I just removed Magenta - that tends to be what old photos fade to, so it's the first thing I try playing with. Values : -3, +24, +5. These were just by eye, and I don't claim to have a properly calibrated monitor so...

+10 saturation.

USM = Unsharp Mask - it's the best way of sharpening up the details in a picture easily, and can be found inder the shapen filters (search the forum or tutorials section for detailed instructions on best usage ( though I haven't read up on it myself yet!!).

The Neat Image was largely to clean up the car finish a bit, though I was lazy and applied it across the while image. I found I had to increase the image size of your small image in order to sample a blank section of the car.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
I've just pushed it a little further.
Maybe a little too far. I'd be trying to imitate some sort of Depth-of-Field effect, by which far away things get blurred and the objects at the same distance as the car will be sharp.
So, yes, blur the buildings but go light on the white fence and don't touch the road under the car.
If you just blur everything but the car (and the man) you're a cadidate for the terrible "Oh, you did that with Photoshop" comment. It looks fixed.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help