RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

A selection challenge

Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 PM

A selection challenge

Hi All,

I am rather stuck re: the attached image. The background area needs to be replaced as there are too many areas of discoloration ( I hope this shows up). Trying to correct it via a levels adjustment resulted in the whole thing coming out too dark and the hat and coat blending too much into the background. I am having alot of trouble getting a good selection of the couple, particularly the right bottom shoulder area of the man.

Any suggestions on the best way to finish this one up??
thanks,
Di
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-retouched cole copy.jpg (93.3 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 PM

Make a duplicate, set a curve that lightens that layer so you can see the outline then grab the pen tool and make a precise path along the groom's back continuing around to the right (selecting background). Go to the paths palette and make the path a selection. You can now delete all the selected area from the original (or another duplicate of the original)

I find it easier to work with the pen tool making small selection areas to delete when trying to remove a dificult background. Others like to draw the path around the object they are trying to isoloate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 05:32 PM

I can see the discolouration you mention dipech, but have you considered trying to repair it, rather than cut out the couple? It depends what version of Photoshop you have of course. In CS I used the patch tool to simply select the discolourations, dragging them to a good area to mend them. It seemed to come out ok. Another issue is the white halo fringing the bride's dress - I tried to remove this with a low opacity clone stamp.

Finally selected the lower half of the groom which is lighter (caused by not being flat of the scanner?) and dropped the brightless a little to match.

Actually looking at this image again it looks like some of the problem may be caused by the picture having folds and creases in it, and therefore not being completely flat of the scanner - Do you think you could try scanning it again with something heavy on top of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm-retouched-cole-copyb.jpg (99.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Caitlin; 05-20-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 05:36 PM

If I were going to remove the background (and I wouldn't in this case), I'd use a layer mask.
Just my opinion, but if you've never done this, you may find it's just as much work, if not more, to replace a background, than it is to fix the original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks, Vikki, Caitlin and Swampy!

I am going to try re-scanning and the layer mask; I am not a good drawer and seem to have a hard time drawing good lines but I'll try the pen tool suggestion also. Vikki, can you explain the steps more to use a layer mask to change the background?
I know how to do a gradient fill once I have a good selection to work with...

Thanks again and have a great weekend everyone!
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2005, 07:03 PM

That background area is very very murky with splotches of brown, twirls of maroon,etc that I'm sure would not print out well...

Di
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Patron

Selection

To select this subject, I copied the layer and then I used a curves adjustment layer to brighten the image and increase the contrast between the suit and the background. I then used the extract command. After that I selected the extracted couple and and saved the selection as an alpha channel. The bridal veil still had some darkness from the background so I used the dodge tool to brighten it up some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selection.jpg (22.8 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2005, 07:53 PM

Hi everybody,

Diane,

I tend to agree with Vikki about trying to salvage the original background ... but here, the 'blotchiness' and heavy pixelation made the 'resque' harder .... Selecting the back of the groom's jacket is a bit of a nightmare since colour, blotches and pixelation make the line between jacket and background practically invisible ...

Phil did a great job with his selection and in showing the way .... By tweaking contrast and brightness you can see the separation line better but the strange 'lump' close to the groom's hand ... which I also got, didn't convince me very much .... so I changed to LAB selected the Lightness channel and using the Levels on it I could (barely) make out a straighter line .... (Attachment 2)

Like Swampy suggested I used the Pen Tool (much more precise than other selection Tools) to select that area only ....

In other words, for this picture, I made separate selections for different areas of the picture which I, then, added to each other to get the final mask ...

If you are not very familiar with Layer Masks, here is a 'beginners' Tutorial on it ...

Hope this helps ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_sm-retouched-cole-copy.jpg (97.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg F_Mask.jpg (94.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Flora; 05-21-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Hi Everyone!

Thanks Flora for your help on this one!! Once again you did an amazing job!!

But can you please explain this part a bit more: "In other words, for this picture, I made separate selections for different areas of the picture which I, then, added to each other to get the final mask ..."

How/where did you add the selections together??

I followed a combination of everyone's suggestions but at this point if you look very closely at the top of the hat area you will see alot of purple pixels that should not be there. I am trying to figure out how to clean this up and again it is not going well... this is the first time I've used the pen tool and paths and selecting paths which don't want to combine with other paths and so on........

The problem is again getting the proper, clean lines...
What's the best thing to do at this point????????? This one has become such a headache!!!!

Thanks everyone again!!
Diane

Here is my latest version
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-1125pm-coleman.jpg (77.6 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 02:33 PM

This may show the problem hat area a bit better:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hat-cole.jpg (50.4 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help