RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Help to bring back color/texture in dress

Old 05-24-2005, 10:38 AM

Help to bring back color/texture in dress

I'm trying to do my best in working with a recently taken prom picture. It was an overcast day but the girls prom dress is a little blown out for my taste. Was wondering if someone could give a guiding hand or brief tutorial in bringing back the pink and texture in this dress? This pic is untouched. I've played around with shadow/highlight and it helps a bit. Any other methods?

Thanks a bunch,
Pauly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchhelpneeded.jpg (93.3 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 11:31 AM

Hi Pauly. The first thing I did was a curves adjustment layer. When the curves box opens,double click the white eye dropper. The color picker opens. Go to the HSB boxes. Enter 96% in the B box only. Then click on the image what should be white. I did the guys collar.
Next, double click the black dropper. Put 6% in the B box. Click on image what should be black. I did the gaping lapel. OK to close curves dialogue. Do NOT save as target.

The above is a FLORA technique.

Next, a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Lick open Master. Click RED, adjust that saturation slider. Then MAGENTA. I think I also lowered the GREEN sat.
Click ok. Don't remember the numbers. I overdid the sat. on this example so it would show up.

Fill h/s mask with black. This hides what you just did. Take a soft whit brush and paint the dress back in.

Hope you understand this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtp.jpg (82.4 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 12:28 PM

Kiska, thanks for the help. I'm not quite sure of your rendition however. It seemed to make the faces extremely red on my monitor.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 12:34 PM

Probably so. I'm on a laptop and didn't calibrate today. Also, I just concentrated on the pink dress. The percentages in curves should stand. The h/s sliders you adjust to your liking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Hi Pauly,

Just a quick go with your image. Copied to new layer, Desaturated, Inverted, set blend mode to Soft Light, reduced layer opacity to 70%.

Could be improved further with local curves adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchhelpneeded copy.jpg (97.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Layers.jpg (15.7 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 01:21 PM

My steps:

1. Duplicated background
2. Made a selection of the dress only
3. Copied to new layer. Changed the blending mode to Multiply and adjusted opacity to 73%. Made a layer mask and painted over the gloved hand.
4. Selected the duplicated Background Layer
5. Make a luminosity mask, inverse, copied to a new layer and changed
blending mode to screen, 100% opacity
6. Made a layer mask on the above and painted back in areas that were over done: the dress, the trees, hair etc.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouchhelpneeded.jpg (86.3 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 06:24 PM

Hi,

It's late over here and tomorrow morning early I'm off until Sunday ... If interested, I'll write a detailed description when I'm back .... Sorrrrrrrry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_retouchhelpneeded.jpg (98.9 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 06:49 PM

I really enjoy the last two posts of pics by Ken and Flora. Flora, I like the way that the dress is now pink without passing those colours over to the individuals. I'd welcome a tutorial. In the meantime, I'll give both Ken and Gary's a whirl... see if I can tweak it a bit as well. I really appreciate all the help. I'm learning new things here besides changing levels and doing a shadow/highlight adjustment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 05:47 AM

Hi,

Pauly,

thanks so much for your kindness!!

What I did to bring back texture and colour in the dress is the following:
  • Used the Curves to balance Shadows and Highlights.

What Kiska kindly described as "FLORA technique" is actually from Katrin Eismann's book for setting white and black point:

Open the Levels/Curves Dialog Box:

*Double click on the White eyedropper. A 'Select White Target' color label appears above the color picker.

*Change the B Value in the HSB scale from 100% to 95-96% ... click OK.

*"Double click on the Black eyedropper. A 'Select Shadow Target' color label appears above the color picker.

*Change the B Value in the HSB scale from 0% to 5-6% ... click OK.

Close your Curves/Levels Dialog box and click yes on the 'Save new Target colors as defaults' window. This changed values will now become the Black and White default targets for both, Curves and Levels even if applied to only one of them.

"By setting the White Target Color to 95-96% you will hold slight tonality in your whitest whites and the Black Target Color 5-6% will hold shadow information in the darkest parts of the image.

The generic 95% highlights and 5% shadow values are a safe place to start to avoid printing highlights without tone (paper white) or shadows that are so dark with ink that you can't see any detail in them."
  • Created a 'Selective Colors' AL, targeted the 'Whites' and added a bit of Red, Magenta and Yellow to them.

That's all ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2005, 04:19 PM
Patron

Pinking

I used a levels adjustment layer to slightly adjust the color. Next I added a HUE saturation adjustment layer and increased the saturation 53% and decreased the lightness slightly. I used a black layer mask and then with a white brush I painted the dress HSL layer back on to the dress. Finally I added another layer I used color for the blending mode and sampled some of the pink from the dress and again masked this layer and painted the tint back in with a white brush on the mask. I decreased the opacity of this layer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pink.jpg (42.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help