RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

When do You apply Neat Image?

Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 PM

When do You apply Neat Image?

Do you aplly Neat Image as a first step before all other editing?
At what point in the process is it best to apply the NI filter?
I'm getting ready to try it out for the first time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 03:57 PM

I apply it as early in the workflow as possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
I apply it as early in the workflow as possible.
Yep! ... same here .... Noise has a way to 'degenerate' tremendously once you start tweaking the contrast .... so I minimize it as soon as possible!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Well, while I was waiting for a reply, I applied NI to a previously edited picture. I got this-I don't know what to call it-over her foot(circled). When I undo, it disappears. I don't remember if it's an area that I tried to mask previously or what? I don't see a mask of that area in my layers. Anyone?
I can see why it would be a good idea to use NI early so it wont cause problems later on.

Also, it says the demo will only process the top portion of the image. But, I have noise around the feet (arrow 1) too I'd like to get rid of. Do I re-run the filter on that area somehow? Is that little box (in NI) automatically 60x60? Can I change it's size to fit by her foot somewhere? Or, would it be better to profile on the smooth part of her leg (arrow 2)?

And, the instructions say start w/ Noise reduction slider Y. How about the other sliders, is there a place that explains the function of those? I must of missed it in the user guide...

I know this is a lot of questions, but this is the first time using NI for me...thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NegBlkHat1 copy.jpg (38.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Patron

filters

Well I zoomed in on the heel of the 416 pixel picture. If that is the only area to be dealt with you may not need to use Neat Image. Like try one of the blur filters. Copy the layer and use lighten for the blending mode. Try an aggressive filer like a median filter until the spots go away. Then on that layer use a layer mask with a black fill and paint in the copied, blurred layer with white to reveal the area you want to blur. Then if necessary you can adjust the opacity of the layer. No one will notice the heel.

The Neat Image filter that I use comes with a manual and in general I just use the Y mode.

I've seen this picture before in a photoshop course a while back. They were using the picture to deal with the highlights in that photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 PM

The picture is of my daughter. I actually ran the NI filter on it already, but since I was using the demo version, it said it would only correct a portion of the image. Is there a way to correct all of the image w/ the demo version?

I managed to remove a big highlight from her chest area but decided to leave the other ones. You'll notice on that front foot there's an artifact of some sort on top of the highlight that wans't there until I used NI. Not sure what it is???
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 PM

See here it is before NI-no artifact thingie on her foot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NegBlkHat1copy.jpg (34.0 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 01:23 AM

Don't know which demo version you're using, mine works on the whole image, but only on jpg images.

If you want to work on selected areas, first make a jpg version of your image, apply filter to it, then copy and paste it as a layer into your non-jpg version. Apply layer mask to limit filter effect to specific areas.

In answer to your earlier post the sample box can be moved around by clicking and dragging, as can the preview box.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2005, 05:25 PM

I believe it was a PSD file. I'm not sure which version it is but I just downloaded it yesterday. So, I guess I could make a jpeg of the image, run the filter and then convert to PSD ot TIF format, right?

There's that white aura/brush stroke over her foot that I still can't figure out??? But I could do like Gary said and mask it out, because it wasn't there until I applied the NI filter.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help