RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

extracted bride

Old 11-28-2001, 06:27 PM

Vary your feather on the tool along with the transparency. Hair should have a high feather and transparency. Distinct edges need a very low feather and transparency.

Thanks for your help, this is "the part" that confuses me vary your feather on the tool along with the transparency.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 06:32 PM
Janitor

I probably don't understand the question. I just feather 3 pixels, regardless. That's assuming some sort of selection tool. For masking I use the soft edged brushes, which have edges that vary wildly with the size of the brush. For those I just eyeball it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leerod
Vary your feather on the tool along with the transparency. Hair should have a high feather and transparency. Distinct edges need a very low feather and transparency.
Leerod, I think that this is referring to is the options available on both the lasso tool (for selections) or the paintbrush tool (for masking). The lasso tool allows you to set a feather distance (in pixels.) The paintbrush tool allows you to pick a brush with hard or soft edges (the softer the edge the more "feathered" the selection/mask) and also set an opacity of the brush (a lower opacity softens the brush even more).

In Chapter 2 of the Photoshop Retouching Handbook by Carol Braverman, she goes into detail about examining an image to determine which edges are "hard" and which edges are "soft". For example, the edges of a vase might be sharp (hard), but the shadow it casts might be soft. If you want to select both the vase and the shadow, you probably want to use a larger feathering/softer brush on the shadow than on the vase.

In the example quoted above, the hair does not create as sharp an edge with the background as does an arm, for example. Of course, you have to be careful that you don't feather around the hair too much - esp. if you're extracting a person to a different colored background, otherwise, you bring some of the original background along with the person.

Does that make any more sense, or did I just complicate things?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 08:17 PM
Janitor

Excellent book. Too bad it's out of print. But you can find it used cheap (but make sure it comes with the cdrom, lessons pretty much useless without it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 08:29 PM

Thankyou very much jeaniesa , not you didn't complicate things, you actually explained them so little ole me can understand them.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

But, is there a search engine on this site that you can use keywords to search for certain help topics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leerod
But, is there a search engine on this site that you can use keywords to search for certain help topics.
At the top of every page in these forums is a row of small bottons to the right of the big "RetouchPRO" label. On my machine, the second button from the right is "search" - that should be what you're looking for.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help