RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

extracted bride

Old 11-21-2001, 03:25 PM

extracted bride

still can't get my Mac to upload to this site, so here is the URL for my extracted bride......

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...164&p=56629665

It has lost some quality in downsizing the resolution, but I'd appreciate a critique and/or suggestions for improvements.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 10:41 AM

1 of 2 scenerios............

either my extracted bride is perfectly excuted and there's no room for improvement (not in my wildest dreams!) or it is so poorly done that the very nice experts here don't want to hurt my feelings. I tend to believe it's probably the latter.

However, I'm a pretty tough cookie and *can handle the truth* (spoken ala tom cruise in response to jack nicholson! hehehehe)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 03:58 PM

I am no expert, looks good to me. The one thing I believe would make it look better would be a break somewhere behind the far part of the wedding dress( a different color from the other background color) all the way across and down to make it appear she was standing on a floor. As it is now, it appears that she is floating in the air. Just my opinion.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2001, 04:24 PM

Sorry SJM,
It's not that we didn't want to comment, but somehow it didn't show up until today on my screen. I love that picture. What a beautiful bride and that dress is gorgeous!
I think you did the extraction very well and avoided the cut out look. And that's the hardest part.
Now to make it look like she is actually standing on solid ground, add just a small sharp shadow where the dress hangs above the floor and be aware of your light source. Remember the dress and floor are very close so the shadow should be tight and sharp. That should anchor her down better.
Also what George said about the floor meeting the backdrop needs to be emphasized by gradually darkening it a little where they meet.
Finally, most of the train has a dark blue tint where the sheer parts show the floor and that is good, but the distant part of the train picked up some light brown hue probably from the scene it was in before. I would select that area with a very soft selection and change the color to better match your blue setting.
I think you did a beautiful job just sorry it looked like we didn't want to respond. I really do believe some of these posts don't always show up on New Posts sometimes because I've missed others before and I know I visit pretty regularly. If it ever happens again, just do what you did and bring it back into view by posting a reply to it. That worked great.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 11:22 PM

I think you did the extraction very well and avoided the cut out look. And that's the hardest part.

Hi just reading your posts, and yes I agree too it is a beautiful photo. But I am interested in how you can avoid the cut out look. If you could help that would be great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2001, 11:25 PM
Janitor

There's a whole thread on that very topic here
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2001, 06:50 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Nice job on the extraction. Nearly perfect. Debbie's suggestions should be all it needs in my opinion. I *really* like the color you picked out for the backdrop. It goes very well with the bouquet and dress.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 08:40 PM

Vary your feather on the tool along with the transparency. Hair should have a high feather and transparency. Distinct edges need a very low feather and transparency. this post was written by Nik on the 14.11 in the topic "avoiding the paper doll look". Doug Nelson referred me to this

But I don't really understand this part, which I guess is the main part, can you explain how to do this in an easier way for me please...... sorry I don't mean to appear to be dense. But I certainly appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2001, 08:44 PM
Janitor

Which part is "this part"?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2001, 08:54 AM

Very nice job. As per previous comments, the bride is floating and needs to be grounded somehow. The picture is generally lacking some 'reality', what is the brides environment etc. Even with basic portrait photo's, there is some kind of 'cloudy' background and people are use to this. Maybe impose 'hubby' in as well but just make sure that the light sources are consistent. Just a couple of random suggestions.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help