RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Huge light leak nightmare on the whole film!

Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 AM

enhanced photo

Hi SenseBOP,

I don't know whether your snaps would be selected for the challenge or not.. Here I have done the sample pic... removed the light.. Look at it.

I would like to use this snap for my portfolio, to put in site as a sample.. Can I use it?

- Nick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1154124ml.jpg (97.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg donepic.jpg (98.0 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 AM

Here are my examples from original posts ...took a about a minute for each with brush and my action.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Last edited by cspringer; 06-07-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM

senseBOP
You are confusing three different faults

1) Shutter Lag – This is common on older Canons. There is a piece of foam within the shutter which was added as a shock absorber. After time this perishes and becomes sticky this causes the second blind to hesitate and can overexpose the whole picture
2) Weak springs – This is common on older Minolta and Pentax. If the Shutter springs become weak then one blind can be traveling faster than the other. This can vary the exposure across the neg.
3) Damaged shutter – This is the only problem that will cause a diagonal line. While I understand your logic about the shutter being ‘open’ between shots you will find that virtually no light will pass the mirror while it is down.

You will find that your processors will be using automatic machinery to detect the end of each frame and with a fault like this the process can get confused and its common for some of the pictures to get cut in half while the negs look OK.

Quote:
wouldn't the waves be identical (or almost identical) in all images, instead of continuing each other as a pattern?
That is a very valid point and the whole reason I put IF in bold in my first post. The simple answer is ‘yes it should’.
The only way to check this is to go back and look at you negs. Have the scans been flipped/rotated/cropped. You or your processors may have taken the portrait shots then rotated them to view.

Can you post a scan of a strip of negs i.e. the full strip including all the edges as this is the only way to check.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Retouched image

Hello All,

I don't know what happen to the actual post.. I have post my work for this image here.. I play with the hue/sat and channels as well..

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766

Look at the pic at http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766 .

- Nick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:42 AM

Ken, I was not confusing between faults, I was merely theorizing on the cause of the wave, excluding the possibility for it being generated on a per-shot basis, as oposed to a per-film basis. Having various widths/strengths of wave on each shot would have suggested that it was created during the shooting, while having a costant, continuous wave suggests it was created in one "Smooth" action. (as in when the film was wound back into the canister)

I will try and get the actual film strips scanned, but since I don't have a working scanner, it'll take a couple of days. However, the image at this link is the original layout/rotation of the images.
I only changed the order of the images to match the film strips, since Windows has a bad habbit of putting _12 before __2 when it auto-arranges a folder view.

Looking at the strips, none of the images were cut, offset, or anything like that, and the wave is constant and fluid across the whole film.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM

How do you save the snap flora

Hi Flora,

I have seen your work its always excellent..

I saw the snap, you have post in this thread. I have also done the same snap and post it at http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766 . When you see the large version of the thumbnail. you can see its not that sharp & clear.. ( while original pic is absolutly clear & fine) I used save for web option in photoshop to make the snap under 100KB.. original was around 350 kB.. Can you please tell me why your snap is looking sharp... ? what is the good way to save it under 100KB?

Thanks,

- Nick
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Chip,
thanks for your additional help and work. Those came out a little too dark, though.

Nick,
thanks for your help, and for your kind offer. I will have to think about it a little longer.
You've done a great job on the picture, but you've added a bit too much of cyan to it.
Feel free to use it on your site. Just make sure to credit it with my email address (my nickname at gmail.com).

Last edited by senseBOP; 12-05-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 01:08 PM

"thanks for your additional help and work. Those came out alittle too dark, though."

NP. I'm not sure how much you know about post processing but adjusting the brightness and contrast "to taste" is about the easiest edit there is. You might want to buy Total Training for Photoshop...it is a semester of PS on CDs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspringer
"thanks for your additional help and work. Those came out alittle too dark, though."

NP. I'm not sure how much you know about post processing but adjusting the brightness and contrast "to taste" is about the easiest edit there is. You might want to buy Total Training for Photoshop...it is a semester of PS on CDs.
He he, yeah, I know how to do that, I was just stating the obvious.
Total Training is an awesome product. I've got their new series for the PS CS2 features, and it's just amazing the amount of detail they show, and how well their work process is layed out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks
Hi Flora,

I have seen your work its always excellent..

I saw the snap, you have post in this thread. I have also done the same snap and post it at http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10766 . When you see the large version of the thumbnail. you can see its not that sharp & clear.. ( while original pic is absolutly clear & fine) I used save for web option in photoshop to make the snap under 100KB.. original was around 350 kB.. Can you please tell me why your snap is looking sharp... ? what is the good way to save it under 100KB?

Thanks,

- Nick
Hi Nick,

... Not so sure it's the 'good way' of doing it but when 'saving for web' (which I also use) I tend to resize for quality .... meaning if for remaining under the 100KB limit the 'save for web' suggests a quality of under 65%, I cancel, go back to my workspace, resize the picture and try again .... I'd rather post a smaller picture than a big, blurred one ... particularly after having worked for hours on it, just to see great part of my work disappear to compression ....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help