RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Huge light leak nightmare on the whole film!

Old 06-05-2005, 04:36 PM

Angry Huge light leak nightmare on the whole film!

Hey everyone, am I glad for finding this place!!!!

I don't know how, but my film was exposed in a very strange way to light, that caused a light wave across the whole film (probably a bad cap on one of the ends, or something). This was probably before even going into the camera, since I did notice the film being somewhat "exposed" when I pulled it out of the case and into the film grip in the camera.

Anyways, this is a true nightmare!!!! I had such beatiful pictures on this roll, and while I can Photoshop them one at a time, I was hoping someone here has a neat little script in PS to ease the pain for me.

There's a little snappy of the contact sheet at the end of this message. It makes the "light wave" very visible, and illustrates my problem quite nicely.

I'm a very well trained Photoshoper and Photographer, but having to go through 20 images, and fixing levels, dodging, burning, is not something I count as a good use of my (minimal) "quality time" infront of the PC.

Help and advice would be GREATLY appreachiated on this manner, especially if one can provide with a script for it in Photoshop.

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help others with their problems.

Link to contact sheet is RIGHT HERE.

A note about the contact sheet: Some photos were rotated (obviously), so the wave might not be as visible, but you get the idea...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 05:57 PM

kind of small. Can you post a picture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 01:23 AM

No experience with scripts here, but I'd say its going to be difficult, as the pattern is different on each contact print.

Have you thought of creating an Action to part automate the process. That way the only manual input would be selection of the affected area.

Should make the process a little less time consuming.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
No experience with scripts here, but I'd say its going to be difficult, as the pattern is different on each contact print.

Have you thought of creating an Action to part automate the process. That way the only manual input would be selection of the affected area.

Should make the process a little less time consuming.
Well, I never really went through the process of making an action in PS, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it. I'm starting to think that I should just get somebody to fix these for me. It's going to consume too much of my time. I REALLY need to get myself a dSLR, now!

cspringer, here's a photo for you to take a shot at if you're interested: Blue Metal
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 07:36 AM

Complete Roll of film challenge.

Hey everyone, I hope this can be accepted by you as a "challenge", since it's quite a big one, but not really a "challenge" per se.

To get an idea of the "challenge", go to this link.

It's a contact sheet of the whole roll.
Notice that annoying "wave" running across all of the images? It was caused by some light-leak. I don't know if it was a faulty roll, or a faulty developement process, as I didn't do the developement myself.

In any case, here's a sample photo from the roll. See if you can remove the "light wave" from it, and if you can, let me know if you want more photos posted. I have 22 photos in total that need fixing.

If this is not an "acceptable" challenge, please forgive me, and get one of the mods to remove this thread.

I might be able to offer some "compensations" for a kind soul that will be willing to take this project on him/herself, and provide some good results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 10:07 AM

Worked pretty good on this picture:

Duplicated the background layer.
Did a curves adjustment once based on the "good" part and once on the "bad" part.
Created a gradient along the bad part, copied to a channel, loaded as a selection and added to the background copy as a layer mask.

Don't know if it will work well on the other pictures though....

Patrick

PS: You see the edges of the bad parts, that needs a little tweaking on the mask
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1154124ml.jpg (65.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by PatrickB; 06-06-2005 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Forgotten....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 AM

Hi senseBOP,

Welcome to RP!

What Gary said about scripts .... as for actions... I have my doubts about finding an automated way to fix color and contrast in such different pictures even if you do your selection manually ...

I had a go at your picture using Levels and Hue&Saturation ALs on a quick Mask selection ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_1154124mla.jpg (98.9 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 11:58 AM

Wow!

Hi, Flora, thanks for the warm welcome.

Wow, that is just an excellent job you did on that photo, can you send me the fixed version, or just upload it to imageShack?

Also, can you give me a it more details as to how you fixed it so nicely? None of my efforts have produced such a wonderful result.

I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was in Photoshop. :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 12:00 PM

I used my Paint with Light action (Shadow layer)but instead of black I picked one of the blues in the picture (www.atncentral.com) Take a brush and paint out the offending color. To darken the holes I used Selective Color Black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 115412aaa.JPG (45.0 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Thx.

Good job cspringer, it came out a little too blueish, compared to the original, but I like the idea you simply "painted" the white out.

And I'm loving the Action Central, so thank you for the link!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help